Howard Early Action Class of 2027

Got in!!! Received 19k Achievers Scholarship!! Thank you, Howard.

2 Likes

Congratulations!!!

Congrats!

2 Likes

Accepted with Achiever’s Scholarship but her choice will be Tuskegee where she got a full ride with the Distinguished Presidential Scholarship! Congratulations everyone who got accepted. We toured Tuskegee a few months back and were very impressed! They have been extremely communicative and amazing to work with! Best wishes in your future!

2 Likes

My daughter got in!!! She got awarded Acheivers Scholarship :heart::tada::bison:

2 Likes

Twins both got in! One received Presidential Scholarship and the other Achiever’s Scholarship!!!

2 Likes

May I ask how much the Presidential Scholarship awards?

My son was offered the Presidential Scholarship at Howard in 2020. The Presidential Scholarship at Howard is one of the best cost of attendance scholarships that I have ever seen at any school, paying for tuition, room and board, $950 a semester for books, and a $1,000 a semester stipend along with all fees paid. Howard does not advertise the requirements to get the Presidential Scholarship, but every student that I have heard receive the offer had a 3.75+ GPA and 1500+ SAT/34+ ACT (which were the requirements for the Presidential Scholarship before they stopped sharing scholarship requirements about 4 years ago). The Presidential scholarship’s yearly GPA requirement at Howard was a 3.50 GPA. In 2020, Howard offered 23 accepted students the Presidential Scholarship.

My HU24 kid ended up applying for and also being offered the Karsh STEM Scholarship, which is a competitive cost of attendance STEM scholarship at Howard. He chose that scholarship because of the more active administrative support of the program and the slightly lower GPA requirement at Howard (3.30 GPA) needed to keep the scholarship.

2 Likes

Congratulations on getting “the bag” at Tuskegee. We also visited the campus which was great and my younger kid was offered the Distinguished Presidential Scholarship from Tuskegee back in 2020. If your kid is a STEM Major who is still hoping for Howard, please apply for the Karsh STEM Scholars Program which offers a cost of attendance education for most (for households who make over 150K, they have to pay a 1/4 tuition) with the expressed goal of eventually sending students for PhDs, MD/PhDs, and MS programs.

Guys, any update on financial aid? No update so far for 23-24 aid year on Bison Web. Any information when they might be updated?

Same: I also don’t see the 23-24 Fin Aid year on Bison web. I’m assuming it’s a system glitch that will be resolved after the holiday break, but I guess we’ll see.

My daughter has 35ACT, 4.5w/4.0 uw gpa but received the 19K Achievers scholarship this year. Other parents have suggested that our high EFC impacted her award. She’s applying to the Karsh Stem Scholars program and wondering whether awards would be stacked or the 19K displaced? I believe that she would only receive 75% off tuition, if accepted.

One reason that I believe that Howard removed most of their.scholarship info from their webpages is because they did not always offer the highest scholarship correlated to the “stats” of some accepted students. I have seen Howard become more holistic over the last 7 years that I have tracked Howard admissions and scholarships and personally believe that higher EFC households are often offered less in Howard Institutional scholarship aid (excluding KSSP).

The Karsh STEM Scholars Program (KSSP) scholarship does have an upper household income limit (150K) that makes those households contribute 1/4 of tuition (or ~7K per year for 21-22 school year). You can not stack any Howard institutional scholarship with the KSSP scholarship, but you can use outside scholarship funds to cover that shortfall. The only exception to the upper income requirement is for students awarded both the Presidential and KSSP Scholarship (The KSSP waived the 1/4 tuition payment for those households over 150K who were offered both scholarships and chose the KSSP scholarship over the Presidential Scholarship in past years).

One thing to be careful about is that the scholarship/aid landscape has changed a lot during my time watching Howard (more need-based is given today than ever) so even things that I have had confirmed by administrators and other scholars/parents as recently as last year may be outdated for HU27. Good luck on your quest for money and please check out the Howard and CC KSSP pages as they may be helpful.

3 Likes

Thank you for this information. It really helps us make an informed choice. I don’t begrudge Howard for offering holistic merit awards. We just have to shop around given that a MD/PhD program is in my daughter’s future. I’m a Howard alum, so I would love for her to experience the Mecca, but it’s ultimately her decision and I know that she’ll choose the best fit academically and financially.

There has been an update for 23-24 aid year in the Bison web portal. But apart from Achievers scholarship, I don’t see any need-based aid. I badly need at least 10,000USD in aid to afford Howard. Has any of you received any need-based aid apart from merit scholarship? I was taken aback when I saw Achievers scholarship included as financial aid!!!

Just merit aid in my award. But if you applied ED (not sure if you did) and you still have unmet need compared to your EFC, you should definitely reach out to the school . I don’t know what options there are for them to fill the gap but worth at least giving it a try.

1 Like

When can early accepted students expect to receive need-based aid?

I wanted a share a link to new scholarship program that looks to be an amazing scholarship opportunity (3/4 tuition or full tuition with room and board, books and supplies stipend) for Humanities and Social Sciences majors at Howard University
 It has very similar financial and academic goals to the STEM focused Karsh STEM Scholars Program at Howard which has had great early success at producing great outcomes for its student-scholars.

2 Likes

This is an amazing opportunity! Do you know whether Howard received a gift or grant to support this new program? I haven’t seen an announcement. Just curious. Best wishes to all who apply.

1 Like

I have not seen anything that points directly to funding this new program
 However, this program could be receiving some “seed money” from the unrestricted 40 million dollar donation from Mackenzie Scott (Jeff Bezos ex) in 2020.

Howard also recently announced (Dec 2022) receiving a 2nd 10 million dollar donation from the Karsh Family Foundation. That gift will enable the Graduation Retention Access to Continued Excellence (GRACE) Grant program to extend its support to more students who receive the maximum federal Pell Grant amount and have an expected family contribution (EFC) of near zero. Distributed according to student need, the GRACE program offers a 100 percent match for the Pell Grant and additional funding to fill the gap so that students can continue their education. The Grace Grant has increased the graduation rate by 15% among this particular subset of students receiving the grant since it was started in 2014.

1 Like