Howard University 6 Year BSMD Graduate. AMA!

Hi there! I am a graduate of howards 6 year BSMD program. Ask me anything!
Overall impression: Positive and would do it again

5 Likes

What was your interview experience like? What do you believe differentiated you from other applicants?

Congratulations!!!

This is also just the thread I needed! I’m an applicant to the program. Undergrad decisions come out later today (I assume. They said it’d be out this morning but I’ve heard nothing from them) and BS/MD interview notifications should be coming in March.

I want to ask about how medical college ranking may impact residency placement. I admire Howard but have come to know that it’s not a highly ranked institution. Have you or your peers ever thought of this being a disadvantage?

How was it like working at Howard University Hospital as a med student?

Howard doesn’t have an anesthesia or emergency medicine residency program but I’ve noticed that many graduates have managed to match into such programs at other institutions nonetheless. Where would Howard med students interested those fields obtain greater exposure if not at Howard?

1 Like

Have you or your peers ever thought of this being a disadvantage?

• It can impact you negatively in terms of less research opportunities. Howard has a pretty big name so you can definitely find ways to make connections. However if you want to do a competitive specialty you will have to be very self motivated and creative when finding ways to do research and start a lot of projects on your own. Other than that, the only thing that will hold you back are your grades and board scores. If you shine in those literally no one will care where you came from.

How was it like working at Howard University Hospital as a med student?

• We generally have to do a lot of scut work but this is common amongst all med students. Overall it is not hard as a med student. There are not too many expectations from us. If you want to learn more or be more hands on, ask and you shall receive. How much you want to learn in the hospital is up to how engaged you are and what opportunities you ask for. This is kind of the gist of Howard → you must be self motivated to get what you want.

Howard doesn’t have an anesthesia or emergency medicine residency program but I’ve noticed that many graduates have managed to match into such programs at other institutions nonetheless. Where would Howard med students interested those fields obtain greater exposure if not at Howard?

• We still have anesthesia and EM rotations. We are even required to do the EM one in our third year. You can easily rotate at any hospital in the DC area or outside for these specialties in your fourth year If you choose. Also, during our required surgery rotation in third year you can talk to the anesthesiologists as much as you want during surgeries.

Definitely have a passion for serving the underserved, because that is what Howard medicine is about. Have some interesting hobbies to talk about, and make sure you can portray yourself as a dedicated student (they ask a lot about study habits).

Whoops sorry guys haha WhyListen is my profile too. Replied from the wrong account

Thank you so much for answering my question! I just got my financial aid package from Howard and they didn’t give me enough money. Unless something changes, Howard likely won’t be a feasible option for me tears, tears.

For anyone curious: I had a 1470 SAT (690 r/w, 780 m) and 4.1 weighted GPA. In the past, that would have been sufficient for the founders scholarship at Howard (pays for tuition + room + board). I was only awarded the leadership scholarship this year (about 13K per year).

Received my Howard package as well. Definitely cannot afford to attend either. They recently removed that scholarship, but since I had stats above the requirements, I thought I would receive a similar package. Ended up getting HU Achievers (19k per year)

when is the bs/md decisions coming out?
Anyone received interviews?

wow I dont know anything about the new scholarships. I guess it has gotten way tougher to get one

Any word about Howard bs md?

1 Like

Nothing yet.

H/ave you heard anything?

Nothing yet. Can you pm me if you hear about it…. I will do the same

Ok, will do.

Fingers crossed

1 Like

Any word from Howard yet ?

Nothing

Any news? I guess yesterday was the last day for interview?

Nothing yet

Howard BSMD interview is out!

Howard BSMD interview invitation is out