Howard University Regular Applicant Forum 2018-2019

I applied to Howard in Mid-December and still haven’t gotten my bison web information. Has anyone gotten their ID and pin for the Bison Web portal?

My son applied in January and I read in one of these threads about HU not having transcripts and student being denied admissions…so I called to ask how we can verify that they have all of the information they need to process the application. Admissions office said we can look on Common App dashboard but that ID/PIN won’t be unit APRIL! I asked about an admissions timeline in earlier thread but didn’t hear anything. I’m not sure how to find out admissions status without a portal log in, so we are waiting right along with you, @calmtrees!

@laxmom2000 Howard Parent of a current freshman here. My daughter ended up getting her ID/PIN last year in mid-March last year when she got her original financial aid package, but she was an EA admit. When my daughter completed her application through the Common App, I had her take a screenshot of the Common App pages showing that everything was accepted (transcript, recommendations, essays etc). If the Common App is showing that everything was uploaded into that portal (along with the date) you would have what you need should you have an issue later on.

@ChangeTheGame Thanks for the suggestion. Looks like they have everything except mid year report. Can’t find where to verify scores have been received but College Board shows they have been sent. I think(hope) they can make a decision without mid year (transcript) report bc EA folks were admitted based on their junior transcripts. BUT rank went up at midyear, so considering an updated report may help. My son reminded his counselor the report was due this week, so I will make sure to follow up with her if I don’t see that updated in Common App by Monday. He took a screen shot as recommended, so now we just wait…
No clue how long a decision will take for Regular Admission.

@laxmom2000 It looks like I found the dates for regular decision on Howard’s website (link below)… It looks like April 12th is the date for FTIC (First time in college) Regular decision applicants. Good luck to your son.

https://www2.howard.edu/admissions/deadlines

Does HU always release decisions on an exact date (April 12) or is it possible to hear back before then? The email my son received said his portal would be updated BY the notification date, but I was hoping he’d hear something before that date.

My son’s portal was updated to “Decision Made”, but there is no decision listed. I think there are some other buttons in the financial aid section but I don’t precisely remember what was there before.

Will it stay “decision made” until April 12 when they send an email or do they eventually list the decision in the portal?

@laxmom2000 According to Howard’s admissions Twitter account some regular decisions were sent out beginning March 20 via email. Good luck. We are patiently waiting as well!

Thanks for that info @Guru1060! I follow them on Twitter, but must have missed that. I also followed the #on IG and see that a lot of people posted acceptances there, too. Hopefully, we will hear some good news soon!

Hi! I got rejected last week so decisions are rolling out. Good luck to all. Also, if you call they may give your decision.

@mayabenjamin01 Man, I’m sorry to hear that! I’m sure you have another great option where you will thrive! I’ve heard RD acceptances are harder to come by.

@mayabenjamin01 - I’m very sorry to hear that. I hope you have a few other good options. My best to you and your educational pursuit.

Just noticed that my portal has been updated to ‘Decision Made’ but it doesn’t notify me whether I’m in or not. Gotten a decision? @laxmom2000. Also, any international students here???

@pigustavo No decision yet. I noticed my son’s portal has extra options to check financial aid awards and evaluate courses. These were not there prior to his “decision made” status change, so I’m hoping that is a good sign. BUT, I really have no idea if it means anything at all so we will just wait (not so) patiently. He had a fabulous campus visit at Prairie View A&M today. We loved the campus and atmosphere. I’d just like him to have all the options in before making a final decision. Good luck! I’ll post when he hears something, either way.

@laxmom2000 I noticed the extra options too. Maybe that’s good sign. I’ll continue waiting patiently. Not ready to take a leap of faith that I was accepted, in case something…else…happens…LOL.

@pigustavo what options and where can you see them

@am_lalo These options now show in my financial aid tab–
*Financial Aid Status
View overall status, holds, academic progress, cost of attendance, financial aid awards, and messages.

*Eligibility
Review Financial Aid Holds (which may prevent payment of awards) and document requirements; Display academic progress history.

*Award
View account summary; Review awards; Accept award offers; Display award payment schedule; View loan applications; Review withdrawal information.

*Federal Shopping Sheet
Information about the Cost of Attendance and Aid that you have been awarded is provided in a standardized format which facilitates easy comparison with other higher education institutions.

These additional options also show in my student services tab–

*Arts and Sciences Course Evaluations

*TurboVote
TurboVote

I don’t think they were there before.

P.S–I noticed you are an international student from West Africa (just like me). Have you already submitted your official WASSCE certificate that Howard requires? I initially submitted a web print out of the result and just submitted the official certificate this week (that’s when WAEC sent it to my school). I’m worried because the deadline to submit was March 1st. A day after the submission my application status was updated to ‘Decision Made’.

Yay!!! I just got an email from Howard that I was accepted and my acceptance packet as well as other info (including aid and/or scholarship???) would be mailed to me in may!! @laxmom2000 @am_lalo

Isn’t that too late? I need to know my scholarship/aid before May, the acceptance deadline.

Just got into howard. Who knows when scholarship will come

Congratulations to you both!