HSPY over MIT [engineering, probably bioengineering or chemical engineering]

Can anyone share why you would choose HSPY over MIT for engineering majors if you have done so. Assuming money is not the factors. I am considering bio / chem engineering. But this question might be applicable to engineering in general. Thanks.

1 Like

Is this a rhetorical question or an actual dilemma?

Also S should probably move to the MIT side of the debate in terms of engineering.

3 Likes

Why is this rhetorical? Does it seem unbelievable to you?

Not at all. I’m wondering how practical to be in my answers. If it’s rhetorical I can philosophize a little more. :wink:

2 Likes

Perhaps S, if for some reason not picking M. Not P, and definitely not H.

1 Like

My kid picked P over M because he wanted more humanities inclined kids/program even if he was a CS kid. P is also good for Chem. Less so for bio engg. P is some blend of H and M. Would do it again per conversations we’ve had since.

4 Likes

Ivies haven’t released decisions yet.

2 Likes

You might pick S or Y over MIT for a strong engineering program with more of a chill vibe and if you like those schools more outside of academics. Stanford football is pretty fun after all. H over M given the dual enrollment it’s kind of a wash. Wouldn’t pick P, by far the weakest in engineering out of all of those.

Y is weak in engg. I would rank pure engg strength as M S P H Y

5 Likes

not sure about engineering in general but more specifically BME that was asked about, Princeton would be the weakest

Biological engg is not bio medical engg

1 Like

One can obtain a great education and remarkable opportunities at any of them. Pick the one you like; any qualitative difference is too small to affect outcomes.

4 Likes

Many reasons to choose any of them depending on what you want out of college.

1 Like

If one is committed to the engineeing field, and money is not an issue, then MIT is the answer here. Actually there are many other options here over HSPY if engineering is the career choice. If the degree is a means to another end (medical, legal, etc.), then it won’t matter as much.

2 Likes

Congrats on MIT and I assume an EA acceptance or a likely to one or more of the others. I think it depends on fit and how much you are sure of engineering/STEM vs wants to have time and flexibility to explore broader curriculum/ECs. Go and visit during the admitted student days, meet as many current students as possible, and go with your gut feel about where you fit best. Ask for funds to do so if you cannot afford it(this level of school will definitely help you with that)!

“Bioengineering” usually refers to biomedical engineering. “Biological engineering” usually has an agriculture and natural resources emphasis.

This is not my understanding. Bioengineering is the newer biotech area – process engineering that includes making drugs that are less in pharma and more bio-inspired – e.g. the mRNA vaccines. Bio medical engg I think relates to things like prosthetics, artificial heart valves, devices etc.

ABET considers “Bioengineering and Biomedical and Similarly Named Engineering Programs” one kind of engineering that it accredits. “Biological and Similarly Named Engineering Programs” is considered a different kind of engineering. Although the latter often has an agricultural emphasis, there is also a separate category for “Agricultural and Similarly Named Engineering Programs”.

https://www.abet.org/accreditation/accreditation-criteria/criteria-for-accrediting-engineering-programs-2022-2023/

The OP did not ask for a definition of bioengineering, so can we please move on?

2 Likes

deleted