HU/L/FA Requirement Question

<p>My son has a requirement for 9 credits of HU/L/FA. Does it have to be one class in each category or could he double or triple up on Honors Fine Arts, for example? If he takes Arts and Parody can he also take Behind the British Mask or does he have to choose a course that satisfies HU or L instead?</p>

<p>this may depend on his major. I think those in Arts and Sciences have to take at least one 3 credit Fine Arts and one 3 credit Literature.</p>

<p>But, I don’t think engineering has that same specific req’t. </p>

<p>Look at the Core Req’ts…
[Core</a> Curriculum Requirements ? After 1998 | The Office of the University Registrar - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://registrar.ua.edu/academics/core-curriculum/core-post-1998/]Core”>http://registrar.ua.edu/academics/core-curriculum/core-post-1998/)</p>

<p>Be careful about taking more than two classes from one UH category. </p>

<p>Son took three completely different UH 210 courses (Arts and Parody, Ideology of Cinema, and Photography) to fulfill the 9 credits Engr. reqt. The Honors College registrar noted that he was not supposed to take more than two UH 210 classes. Degree Works classified one of the UH 210 class as an “extra” class and showed that he was still missing 3 credits toward HU/L/FA Engr. reqt. </p>

<p>Eventually, he was able to get a waiver from the University registrar so all is good, but if he had prior knowledge, he would have been more mindful in choosing his UH Humanities/Fine Arts classes.</p>

<p>Thanks…if I read it correctly, it looks like you can only have one 3 credit UH course fulfill one of the requirements for HU/L/FA. They want at least 6 credits from departmental courses: </p>

<p>“Nine semester hours of humanities, literature, and fine arts (HU, L, & FA) area courses, six semester hours are required in a discipline (EH, PHL, for example). A six-hour depth (or sequence) study is required and may be taken in either HU, L, & FA or HI & SB.”</p>

<p>*Thanks…if I read it correctly, it looks like you can only have one 3 credit UH course fulfill one of the requirements for HU/L/FA. They want at least 6 credits from departmental courses: *</p>

<p>Can you provide the link for that? I’ve never heard that before and want to bookmark it for future reference. </p>

<p>I wonder if this is new?</p>

<p>[Core</a> Curriculum – College of Engineering | The Office of the University Registrar - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://registrar.ua.edu/academics/core-curriculum/engineering/]Core”>http://registrar.ua.edu/academics/core-curriculum/engineering/)</p>

<p>This is in the Engineering Core Curriculum listing.</p>

<p>Yes, I’m very familiar with that link. But…Where does it say that a student can only have one 3 credit UH class fulfill one of the req’ts for HU/L/FA. <<< That is what I’ve never heard before.</p>

<p>Nine semester hours of humanities, literature, and fine arts (HU, L, & FA) area courses, six semester hours are required in a discipline (EH, PHL, for example). A six-hour depth (or sequence) study is required and may be taken in either HU, L, & FA or HI & SB. There are no mandatory general education requirements for literature or fine arts except as required for a specific engineering program.</p>

<p>Well, I was just using math…LOL. If you NEED 9 hours of HU/L/FA and 6 of those hours MUST be in a discipline (which I assume means NOT a UH course) than that leaves only 3 CR to be used in a UH course. </p>

<p>But, as I said, I might be reading that wrong.</p>

<p>Unless something has changed, the 6 hours don’t have to be in a HU/L/FA discipline if you’ve already done your 6 credit sequence in HI/SB. Again, unless something has changed. We may need some clarification for this. </p>

<p>Nine semester hours of humanities, literature, and fine arts (HU, L, & FA) area courses, six semester hours are required in a discipline (EH, PHL, for example). A six-hour depth (or sequence) study is required and may be taken in either HU, L, & FA or HI & SB. There are no mandatory general education requirements for literature or fine arts except as required for a specific engineering program.</p>

<p>Nine semester hours of courses in the areas of history and social and behavioral sciences (HI & SB) , to include six semester hours in a discipline (HY, EC, for example). A six-hour depth study is required and may be taken in either HU, L, & FA or HI & SB. History may be included in depth courses.</p>

<p>Yes, my son already has his 6 credit History sequence taken care of. He is currently taking UA 210 (3 CR FA), so I believe he needs 6 more credits of HU/L/FA and 3 more credits of HI/SB. </p>

<p>I just know he will have much more interest in some of the UH Fine Arts courses than in Humanities or Literature. So perhaps he can still take one more UH210 course and then add a HU or L course somewhere along the way (perhaps as a summer community college course).</p>

<p>Wouldn’t your son have to take a L course? It appears that at least one is required.</p>

<p>“to include 3 semester hours of courses approved for the fine arts (FA) designation and 3 semester hours of courses approved for the literature (L) designation”</p>

<p>Am I right?</p>

<p>L = Literature? I thought L = Language especially since my son’s dual enrollment Bristish Lit class was counted as a free elective.</p>

<p>catinhat…not for Computer Science (not sure about other majors.) He ended up taking 6 credits FA and 3 credits humanities and has fulfilled the requirement.</p>

<p>I did email someone several months ago and was told he could not take more than 6 credits FA to fulfill this requirement. Not sure if that’s actually written anywhere.</p>

<p>L - literature
FL - foreign language</p>

<p>Col of Eng’g does not require a L.</p>

<p>He wants to self-study French and take the CLEP exam this summer. He’s a French citizen so I suppose learning French isn’t a bad idea. :)</p>