Human Oncology and Pathogenesis Program (HOPP) 2024?

Anyone else applying for HOPP?

I recently found the program while searching for things to do over the summer, and I would love to go here.

My GPA is a 4.0 unweighted, weighted would be more since I’m in AP/Honors classes but i couldn’t find a site to calculate it. I am a part of my school’s biomedical club and I plan on starting a club for cancer research. My recommendation letters are from my Physics teacher; I am pretty active in the class, and my Human Body Systems teacher, who knows me and my passions very well. I have a 99% and 98% in the classes respectively. Last summer I took a Pre-Med research class at Adelphi and successfully completed the class with a 95% average and got the credits for it. I also went to London under Investin for pre-vet, though I hated it and I was told I probably wouldn’t get anything from that. Above all I genuinely love the study of medicine, and setting myself up for a medical research career has become the greatest focus of my life rn.

Im worried because 1) my grades for the last two years weren’t that great. I did have a 4.0 GPA (95 weighted average both sophomore and freshman years), but my science grades weren’t that great. 93% living environment (honors class, though I did get a 95% on the regents), 95% chemistry (honors class, 70% on regents yikes), 91% principles of biomed. As for my current grades, as mentioned before our first quarter isn’t finalized but my science grades are looking good- still very bitter over not getting into AP physics due to my subpar math grade soph year. Definitely over 95% unweighted tho.

I struggled with really bad anxiety and depression my first 2 years of high school and it definitely had it’s impact on my grades. While I’ve since recovered, there nothing I can do about it now. And my second point being that browsing the HOPP forums for the previous years has definitely made me nervous- I really underestimated how difficult this program would be after getting into Adelphi’s (with my subpar grades).

First post on the forum, wishing the best for everyone!

I cannot comment on HOPP since I do not know anything about it.

However, to me it sounds like you are doing very well. At some level you just need to relax and keep doing very well, and keep doing what is right for you.

Regarding “anxiety and depression”, this is quite common among academically strong and serious students. Have you been getting medical help, such as talking to a counselor or psychologist or psychiatrist? Medical science has gotten much better at dealing with anxiety and depression and at helping people.

However, our society puts way too much pressure on high school students. Part of life is figuring out how to deal with this pressure, while just continuing at making progress towards whatever you want to do at the pace that is right for you.

By the way, I have a daughter who is currently working in biotech. She did well in high school (probably about the same as you are doing based on your description), went to a small “primarily undergraduate” university in Canada that the vast majority of Americans have never heard of, found a very good fit for her and got to do cancer research while she was an undergraduate student. She then graduated, returned to the US, and has been working in biotech since (a bit more than 2 years now). She did some work on a potential treatment for a particular genetic disease but the funding dried up and so she is back on cancer research right now. Funding inconsistencies are just part of working in biotech.

With regarding to medical research, this can be done with an MD, a PhD, a master’s degree, or just a bachelor’s degree along with related experience (which is frequently gained while getting a bachelor’s degree). There are a variety of jobs. Students generally first get their bachelor’s degree and get relevant experience, and then decide what path to take next. This is something that we figure out over time.

I do not think that your grades are “subpar”. I think that you are doing well.

In your post you said something about “pre-vet”. My other daughter is currently studying in a DVM program (she should be “Doctor TwoGirls” in about 18 months if all continues to go well – her patients will most likely all be large animals). Veterinary school is a tough path, but is the right path for some students. Let us (or me) know if you want to discuss this option a bit more.

1 Like

I wasn’t sure what HOPP was so I looked it up. While I understand your desire to do this in HS, I can assure you that it isn’t necessary in order to achieve a career in medicine/medical research.

I am glad you recovered from anxiety and depression. Your mental health should always be your priority, as moving forward with anxiety and/or depression will be incredibly difficult if not impossible.

You are a HS student. Doing well in classes (while maintaining your mental health), going out with friends, staying active in your ECs etc are what is important. You appear to be a good student, and you will find the right college for you even without HOPP. When my kids were in HS they had typical summer jobs (camp counselor etc). Both of them went on to good colleges and graduate programs.

One of my kids will be entering a profession in the field of genetics and is also interested in research. She was never in any “special” program during HS summers. She did not do any type of research or anything related until she was in college.

Your grades are good and you will find the right college for you. A 70% on the chemistry regents will not prevent you from attending college or achieving your career goals, whatever they are (you may change your mind 10 times). You indicated that you are “bitter” about not getting into AP physics. Again, you will still get accepted to colleges that are right for you. Please try not to worry (I know it is hard). There are many ways to go into a medical field or research and you will figure out what works for you.

Best wishes!

1 Like

Thank you! Vet would be a fallback option. I love working with animals but my current knowledge just isn’t as great in other areas, and god its so depressing at times.

Thank you so so much.

Im a very pushing and competitive person by nature, ill never be happy with what I have academically if someone has something better. Growing up, I was one of the smartest in my extended family and I loved science from the time I could talk- I grew up on hearing “Youll go to harvard!” “Youll be a doctor” “Youll be a millionaire!”. I know a big part of my journey will be overcoming this. I tend to fly pretty quickly between “im something special and ill do something great” and “im just a 15 year old girl who isn’t anything great”. I have talents and im pretty smart but I have to find a balance between overestimating and underestimating myself.

I saw HOPP as an opportunity to finally make myself something worthwhile, but you’re right- it would be fun but I dont need need it and it wont be the end of the world if I dont get in.

Again, your advice has been greatly appreciated and taken to consideration, thank you

1 Like

It is very hard to grow upon hearing “ you will go to Harvard” and “you will be a doctor.”’ I am glad to hear that you are trying to overcome this!

You are only 15 and your job right now is to enjoy HS and do your best while maintaining your mental health.

What grade are you in?

2 Likes

Thanks! Im a junior.

1 Like

I think you need to be happy if you achieve your personal best. Being upset or unhappy when somebody achieves higher than you academically is not healthy. I would really try and work on this, because throughout life you will likely be exposed (college peers, work colleagues, friends, etc) who achieve something that you do not.

Best wishes!

1 Like

Thank you! And you’re right again, as usual. I know its wrong and im trying to break the habit, hopefully ill get there soon. Ill make an update post in maybe a week or two with my updated PSAT, report card, and what my guidance counselor says. And with a list of schools suggested by users here (bama, binghamton, del etc).

Best wishes to you too! Im assuming you’re older than me and not looking for colleges yourself but whatever you’re doing rn, it seems very good considering your advice here.

1 Like