Humanities/Fine Arts Requirement

<p>I’ve been looking at classes for Bama Bound, but I’m having a bit of trouble understanding what I need to take to satisfy the core curriculum. Can I take UHP courses to meet the humanities and fine arts requirement? For my major, TCF, it appears that the requirements are fine arts (3), literature sequence (6), and COM 123 (3). Does this mean only one honors class would count? If so, what classes could I take for the literature sequence?</p>

<p>Can I take UHP courses to meet the humanities and fine arts requirement?</p>

<p>Yes…for instance, you can take Honors Fine Arts and Parody to cover the FA requirement. Or Arts of Tuscaloosa…or Behind the British Mask…and others. </p>

<p>For humanities reqts, there are many UHP courses that cover those… for instance…</p>

<p>FRESHMAN SEMINAR: The Mindset of War (H, HU) (3 Credit Hours)</p>

<p>Judicial Procedure (H, HU) (3 Credit Hours)</p>

<p>International War Crimes (H, HU) (3 Credit Hours)</p>

<p>HONORS CLASSICS AND WESTERN CULTURE I (H, HU) (3 Credit Hours)</p>

<p>and many others.</p>

<p>As for the sequence…you only have to take a history sequence OR a literature sequence…not both. And, Bama is pretty lenient about those sequence selections. </p>

<p>You didn’t ask, but here are a few of the 300 level UHP classes with the W designation</p>

<p>HONORS SPECIAL TOPICS SEMINAR (W) (3 Credit Hours)
Fundamentals of Sustainability
UH 300 032 19030 TR 03:00-04:15 Shakir, R BD 123
This is an introduction level course to familiarize the participant with the attributes of a ―sustainable system‖. In addition to theory, several simple systems will be analyzed to determine the extent to which they display these attributes. Guest lecturers will be invited to share their experience/perspective as well. (This course is open to ALL eligible students including Freshmen).</p>

Civil Rights in America
UH 300 033 19034 TR 9:30-10:45 Davis, L MR 304
The civil rights movement is one of the most significant sources of social change in the United States during the 20th Century, This course analyzes the structure and dynamics of the civil rights movement from the viewpoints of history, sociology, and political science. We pay close attention to the roles of organizations, resources, leadership, recruitment, commitment, values, ideology, political culture, gender, and counter-movements.</p>

Making Your Cause Work
UH 300 035 19057 M 04:00 – 06:30 Hurt, J BD 15
How many people who believe strongly in a cause actually make an impact for that cause?
If not, what stands in their way? It’s often that they don’t know how to make their cause work.
The goal of the class is to help students translate their passion for a cause into real world impact. We will delve into the basics of nonprofit management and planning and examine how to put theory into practice. The format of the class will include discussion, readings, site visits, and speakers. Students will focus on a cause/issue and develop a plan for action, using highly participatory group discussion and planning, meetings with the instructor, application of required readings, and feedback from guest speakers who are known for their effective work on behalf of a variety of causes.</p>

Primate Religion and Altered States of Consciousness:Considering the Integration & Limitations of Human Consciousness
UH 300 037 19068 TR 09:30 – 10:45 Lynn, C TH 21
Human consciousness is often held aloft as one of the distinguishing characteristics of humanity with higher consciousness, self-awareness, and truth generally considered worthwhile lifelong pursuits. But at what cost? Have evolutionary mechanisms propelled humans toward ―analysis paralysis‖ while cultural and psychological adaptations maintain the blinders of blissful ignorance? We will consider these questions in reading about the religious behavior of non-human primates and the chemistry of altered states of consciousness, and engage in experiments and activities to expand and limit our own consciousnesses.</p>

Calendar Goddesses, Bollywood Heroes, and Freedom Fighting Poets: Modern Indian Cultural History
UH 300 038 19069 TR 01:00 – 02:15 Homes-Tagchungdarpa, A 137 MR
Using posters, religious artwork, Bollywood films, literature and music, students will embark on an exploration of Indian cultural history through engaging with material and popular culture.</p>

Leadership Development
UH 300 039 19269 M 03:00 – 05:30 Lloyd, D MA 102
This course allows students to focus on leadership development, including organizational leadership, through communication and persuasion. Topics covered include decision making, crisis communication, critical thinking and personal development. Students will also learn to analyze and deliver effective messages to advance their professional goals and opportunities beyond college.</p>

Communication in the Attention Age
UH 300 040 19270 W 05:00 – 07:30 Nelson, T NT 292
UH 300 041 19271 T 05:00 – 07:30 Nelson, T NT 283
As we move from the Information Age to the Attention Age, the addition of social media and other non-traditional communication vehicles has us wondering how persuasive communication held up before tweeting, blogging, updating and texting. Throughout the semester we will define target markets, research behaviors and motivations, develop message strategies and ultimately create communication pieces that engage and inspire. We will draw inspiration from classic advertising campaigns, study the creative process and employ elements of creative brainstorming, concepting and copywriting. The goal of the class is to develop a timeless instinct that improves how we communicate personally and professionally throughout a variety of media outlets.</p>

Study of Public Policy
UH 300 042 19272 TR 02:00 – 03:15 Westbrook, P 23 TH
This course will introduce students to the study of public policy, how policies work, alternatives to existing policies, and the major political controversies surrounding policy.</p>

Food and Community
UH 300 043 19347 TR 09:30 – 10:45 Grace, R 155 GP
W or R 03:00-04:00
This course will critically examine our current food system and discuss how it shapes the way we eat and think about food, community, and agriculture, Our investigation into the politics of food will look at the rise of agribusiness and the corporate control of food and farming, and discuss how sustainable food systems and the local food movement have helped to foster community development and address concerns of food security. We will frame our discussion in the context of our own community, and explore these issues first hand by taking field trips to local farms and farmer’s markets, and engaging with leaders in sustainability in our
state. The course will incorporate a weekly service-learning component at University Place Elementary School, where students will work in the school garden and interact with elementary students while learning about organic growing methods. Service learning component is conducted on EITHER Wednesday or Thursday from 3:00-4:00.</p>

<p>HONORS SPECIAL TOPICS SEMINAR (W) (3 credits)
Life Calling, Leadership Discovery
UH 300 044 19350 M 05:30-08:00 Pate, E. 203 Garland
The pursuit of meaning and purpose in life is a growing trend which has specifically impacted Americans’ way of selecting careers. This course will provide a compass for finding one’s life calling through a comprehensive method of self-discovery and facing the ―big‖ questions of life. The Life Calling model guides students to investigate their intellectual, physical, emotional, psychological, and spiritual strengths. Self-assessment, small group discussions, and experiential assignments will offer opportunities for students to build relationships improve leadership skills and gain a sense of significance.</p>

<p>* For my major, TCF, it appears that the requirements are fine arts (3), literature sequence (6), and COM 123 (3). Does this mean only one honors class would count? If so, what classes could I take for the literature sequence? *</p>

<p>What is TCF?</p>

<p>There are…
Honors English Lit I and II
Honors American Lit I and II
the above sets aren’t in UHP, they are in English Honors, but as a UHP student, you can take them.</p>

<p>Great, thanks for the fast response. TCF stands for Telecommunication & Film. So, if I have AP credits for world and us history, I would take the literature sequence?</p>

<p>*if I have AP credits for world and us history, I would take the literature sequence? *</p>

<p>No, you don’t have to. the AP Euro credits take care of the history sequence…and you’re only required to do one sequence…so with the AP Euro, you are good to go!</p>

<p>Clockwork, don’t be hesitant to take honors level courses. My son has taken regular designation core curriculum courses for English Comp and Humanities. Both have been a LOT OF WORK. He was hesitant to take honors in these subjects because of a variety of reasons: too many other honors courses, couldn’t fit the honors section into schedule, and yes, fear of too much work on top of an already rigorous courseload. We fear he will now be scrambling to get in his honors requirements. But, he’s only a freshman, so we have a few years to make it up.</p>

<p>I would advise you to take a course you’re interested in, not just one to fulfill a requirement. Even if you don’t wind up with the grade you were hoping for, at least you enjoyed the class and learned something you were interested in.</p>

<p>Since it was mentioned upstream, I figured I’d give a shoutout to Mindset of War. D is taking that this semester & is really enjoying it…but she is a history major ;)</p>

<p>What is a “W” designated course? I am kind of hesitant about sending my S down to BB alone since this all seems so complicated, but it is about time that he knows more about 'bama than me. And its not like I’m going to be sitting in the meetings anyway.</p>

<p>One ? - if he is thinking about premed, does he need a premed advisor to start? There seems like a lot of requirements. It looks like you need to take 1-2 every semester from what I can tell. </p>

<p>He will need to make a choice early if he wants to do anything special- pre-med, dual major or masters. He is going in with around 30 credits (only!) so he doesn’t have that much flexibility. It’s so hard know what you want to do before you even start.</p>

<p>The “W” designation is for writing. Students need to have two writing classes to graduate. Generally, a student wait to take his/her writing classes after their freshman year. He/she may want to take it as part of his/her major.</p>

<p>W designation is for the two upper division courses that must be taken with the Writing designation (6 credits total) …usually 300 level courses taken with at least junior standing (but I’m not sure if junior standing is req’d)</p>

<p>An incoming frosh doesn’t really have to worry about taking any classes with a W designation. </p>

<p>We fear he will now be scrambling to get in his honors requirements. But, he’s only a freshman</p>

<p>Montegut…your son is in CBH, so he doesn’t have to take very many UHP courses. A CBH student only has to complete 6 credits in UHP because he’ll already have so many CBHP credits.</p>

<p><a href=“http://honors.cbhp.ua.edu/uploads/forms/Current%20Students/Snapshot%20of%20Policies%20and%20Procedures.pdf[/url]”>http://honors.cbhp.ua.edu/uploads/forms/Current%20Students/Snapshot%20of%20Policies%20and%20Procedures.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>BTW…anyone in UHP can take the IHP course and have them count towards honors req’ts. that frosh Cultures class and the similar class for upperclassmen have the SB designation.</p>

<p>UH courses,15-person seminar courses offered only to students in the UHP.
IHP courses,15-student seminars offered to students in the IHP and/or UHP.
CBHP courses, offered only to students in the CBHP .<br>
All of these courses earn Honors credit. You can view the current courses offered through the Honors College under the For Current Students tab.</p>

<p>Oops–just saw that momreads had answered my question. Thanks, momreads!</p>

<p>RobD – how is your DD enjoying the history curriculum? That is DS’s intended major as well.</p>

<p>Well, she’s only taken 2 history classes so far. In love with the one class that’s in her intended specialty area (and is so thrilled that she’ll have the same professor again during Alabama at Oxford and in the Fall: Dr. Mendle) but quickly realized that Latin American history isn’t her thing. I’ll find out more during our drive back to campus this afternoon.</p>