Hybrid EC. How to list in UC application?

D22 taking a journalism elective that falls under a-g. She is an editor and they are in charge of teaching the class and putting out the paper. She also writes articles and puts in a lot of extra hours. In junior year she wrote for the paper but was not part of the class. She submitted stories like a freelancer. She does so much and has so much responsibility I want to make sure she explains it thoroughly.

Which section should she list it under? It doesn’t seem to fit in any category.

It’s not Coursework Other Than A-G, it’s an Honor but it’s more, it’s not an EC because it’s a class. It’s really an important activity and I fear it would get lost in Additional Comments.

I don’t know what A-G means. Isn’t the class listed on her transcript? She has done a lot of work in and out of class and is an editor. I would put it as an EC and that she is an editor.

Then she could write about it in the EC essay or in additional info essay.

1 Like

List the class under the appropriate a-g category which looks like G. Then list Editor under EC and explain the position.

3 Likes

A-G is a designation that UC and CSU uses for core classes, and application to those universities require certain minimums in each category. For example, social science are “a” classes, math are “c” etc. The UC and CSU gpa are calculated using the core, or a-g classes (excludes things like pe).

This journalism course is an academic elective class, which carries a “g” designation.

Thank you!

[@compmom students who apply to the UCs/CSUs must take 15 yearlong courses, in HS, to satisfy the minimum requirements for admission. Each area is labeled from A-G (A=History, B=English, etc.)]
As noted by @Gumbymom, this student would list this journalism class under “G”.

Sorry I wasn’t more clear - my question was where to put this in the Activities section. Understand this is a g class. Thanks all!

Personally, on the activity list, I would list it as extracurricular activity/leadership and talk about what was done outside of the bell to bell schedule.

1 Like