Hypothetical Question

<p>Say you were an UC admission officer, who would accept? Person #1 is one of my really smart asian friend(typical stereotype of an asian who studies alot and parents are protective)</p>

<p>Person #2 is me(average asian)</p>

<p>Person #1 from Socal
-UC gpa 4.15
-SAT I 2110
-SAT II Bio 710, Chem 760, Us Hist 740
-3 years (10-12) with community service club
-overall= around 70 hours
-decent to exceptional essay</p>

<p>Person #2 from Socal
-UC gpa 3.69

• ACT 26
  • SAT II chem 680, Us Hist 650
  • 2 year (11,12) with one community service club
  • 1 year (12) with another community service club
  • 1 year Peer Mentor (help freshmen who are failing)(12)
  • 350 hours of community service with club and at library
  • job at restaurant 20 hours/week for (11-12)
  • section editor for yearbook (11)
  • business manager for yearbook (12)
  • Youth Group singer (11-12)
  • Youth Group treasurer(11-12)
    -average to decent essay
    So basically, its between strong gpa/sat against little bit more extracurricular activities.</p>

<p>Any opinions would be awesome.</p>

<p>Which schools we talking?</p>

<p>Ucb,ucla,ucsd,ucsb,ucd,uci</p>

<p>I'd say Student #1 seems to have the best chance. I'm still a prospective myself, so I don't know for certain, but from what I've read it seems the UCs focus more on scores than ECs. Which sucks for me cause my scores are relatively lackluster for Cal and UCLA.</p>

<p>Sorry.</p>

<p>None taken.=P. I knew I never had a chance at Cal or UCLA,haha.</p>

<p>Any more?</p>

<p>Person #1 probably would be taken over person #2... What are you trying to get out of this?</p>

<p>you lose~
p 1 wins.
sry =S</p>

<p>If it is any consolation D got into Davis and UCI with almost identical stats in 2007. You look a little more well rounded, working helps. UCD does use a formula. Maybe your essays are better than you think. You never know. Good luck!</p>

<p>Person #1 definitely has the higher chance to get in. GPA and SAT scores are the MOST IMPORTANT factors in UC admissions than anything else. S/he could probably be accepted by most or all UC even without the community service and extra-curricular activities.</p>

<p>=/.heh.okay,good to know all this stuff.</p>

<p>Private colleges look into more than the gpa/sat than the UC's right?</p>

<p>If so, in your opinion, my chances for Occidental,Pepperdine, University of the Pacific, and Pitzer College?</p>

<p>While you do seem to be the more well-rounded student (I'm in a similar situation as you, with a higher gpa than yours but lower than your friends), your friend definitely has the better chance. Unfortunately, as I'm sure you're aware of by now, the UCs (while UCB + UCLA might stress their holistic approach) primarily focus on GPA and then SAT scores. </p>

<p>You seem like the kind of kid that would thrive decently at a mid-tier UC though :] I might see you there.</p>