I don't understand this Auto-Admit stuff

<p>A little bit about me:</p>

<p>I'm top 18% at my school and my SAT is a 2060: 680Math/700CR/680Writing</p>

<p>So according to A&M I'm an academic admit, so I should be automatically admitted</p>

<p>So my question is does being auto-admit necessarily guarantee me my major (Petroleum Engineering)?</p>

<p>No! It only guarantees you admission. With those stats you have a fairly good shot if you apply early.</p>

<p>As Etxcat said, it only guarantees your admission. If you haven’t applied by now, it’s not likely that you’ll get into Petroleum Engineering because that major fills up pretty fast.</p>

<p>Last year when my S was applying to TAMU they suggested getting your application in by mid Oct to get your choice of major if you were applying to a popular major. They didn’t mention PetEngineering specifically. The best you can do is get your application in ASAP and have a second choice you might also be happy with. There are some opportunities to switch majors. I don’t know about Petrolium but there are some engineering programs that are easier to move between than others because the Freshman requirements are similar. You might check with the Pet Engineering dept to see what that would be if you don’t get that information here.</p>

<p>Yes, what Spectrum2 said. Don’t be discouraged about getting into your school if you haven’t applied yet! Just buckle down and get it done ASAP. And definitely call about your selection of a second choice.</p>

<p>They have only just recently started sending acceptances. It takes a few weeks to process applications - so HURRY! :D</p>

<p>@izelkay
how fast? I just submitted all of my information recently as well and am even sending my official transcript with priority mail. They should have all of my documents by the end of this week. Do I still not have a chance of being accepted into petroleum engineering?</p>

<p>Fullmetalx - yes, you still probably have a chance. What did you select for your second choice?</p>