I Ended Up at Northeastern University: Here's Where Else I Applied

Unlike some other colleges, it is easy to change majors or even colleges at Northeastern. My son started in the undecided program (the Explore Program) and decided he liked Economics most so he is doing a combined major of Econ and Business Administration. Econ is in the College of Social Sciences and Humanities and Business is D’Amore McKim. It’s very common to change majors and President Aoun talks about that to incoming freshmen in his Convocation speech.

4 Likes

Hi! My unweighted gpa was 4.0, weighted was 4.8. I had a 33 on the ACT and decided to just send it to all the schools except for the UC’s as they don’t consider standardized testing. While not a perfect score, it was above average or in range per the acceptance criteria for the schools I applied to. Good luck to your son!

2 Likes

Correct, sorry for the confusion, I was interested in the Economics degree and just merged that with my plan for Business.

1 Like

I was waitlisted at BC.

2 Likes

Hello! I applied to the BS in Business Administration for Northeastern, as a part of the D’Amore-McKim School of Business. From there, students pick an intended concentration (finance, marketing, accounting, etc) and can add on second concentrations over time as well as minors. I came in with an undecided concentration and am still undecided. Northeastern is really nice in this sense because the business core curriculum includes intro classes to the concentrations so you can get a feel for each one before you pick or you can change your mind as well. They provide a resources such as concentration panels to learn more about them and help students get some insight into what they may decide to go into. I just have to decide my concentration by next fall when I prepare for my first co-op so the first year is totally open to explore the Business programs, and I am getting my core credits done. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any more questions!

1 Like

Yes I was super drawn to the flexibility to find what is best for you at Northeastern! I have found the way the core business requirements are really helpful to let students explore all of the concentrations as someone who came in unsure of what I wanted exactly. I am also considering adding a Econ minor and yes it is super common to combine majors, add extra concentrations, minors, etc.

Most of these schools were considered based on a mix of their business programs, location, and campus environment. I decided to cast a wide net because I wasn’t super sure of what I was looking for in the beginning and I wanted a balance of target, reach, safety. Touring helped me narrow down my top preferences and made it clear to me that I wanted the urban environment with a defined campus feel so it all worked out!

2 Likes

Wow! 22 is too many but should have applied to some others that she was not interested in? Many factors go into deciding where to apply - location, programs, region. Maybe she wasn’t interested in Delaware or West Virginia, etc? Also I did see ASU mentioned? Along with UofA. Sounds like she made the best choice for her!

1 Like

Hi- I had planned to study Econ as it has a lot of crossover to business and it would prepare a foundation for an MBA.

2 Likes

Most students thinking of business would pursue Economics at the UC schools- good broad degree for business, law, mba, etc.

1 Like

Hi, I was very happy with the 22 I selected. ASU was on there, it was my main in-state option. The schools you mentioned were not of interest to me, as everyone has different preferences and criteria they are looking for at the end of the day. I am super excited to have ended up at Northeastern but definitely don’t regret applying to any of the places I did.

3 Likes

Excellent article. I really enjoyed your opinion. I think you underrated Vanderbilt a tad! Fun school and fun city.

1 Like

@delaney.roe: do you know much about the Mills College merger with Northeastern? Or could you refer CCers to more information?

I know it’s your first year, but there does seem to be some interest and confusion about whether a student applying this year can move from Oakland to Boston etc within the NEU group of campuses. Alternatively, perhaps we/our student applicants should just write to the AO there?

There’s another CC thread on this specific to NEU, so perhaps that’s the better place to raise it.

Thank you for sharing! Whew 22 applications. Enjoy your time at Northeastern.

Is this correct…in state and OOS the same cost? I don’t think so. I believe OOS students tuition is a lot more!

University of California, San Diego

La Jolla, CA•4-Year, Public

In-State

$17,161

Out-of-State $17,161

2 Likes

UCSD Non-California Resident Supplemental Tuition=$31,026 + California resident tuition of $17,361

3 Likes

I agree, 22 is a lot, but she replied that she cast a wide net because she wasn’t sure what she was looking for. She says that touring helped her narrow down her top preferences. @delaney.roe when were you able to tour the schools? Was it after you had submitted the applications or after you were admitted? Other than UCSB, did you tour all of the schools that you were admitted to?

For the UCs, it is one application for as many schools as one wants to apply to. UCLA, UCSD, UCSB and Berkeley are the same application, so she ended up with 19 applications for 22 schools. She stated that she added UCB (and probably UCSD) because it was easy to pay an additional $70 and send the application to another school.

She was admitted to UCSB and waitlisted at UCLA so she was definitely qualified to apply. If her focus was on location and campus environment, the only reason a bright girl from Arizona shouldn’t apply to the UCs is cost (both application and tuition). However, she ended up at Northeastern which, according to her chart, costs more than OOS tuition at a UC. A couple of us have asked about her major because, of the UCs she chose, most don’t offer business majors. She replied that she was willing to choose another major, such as economics, at the schools that don’t offer business degrees.

UCLA offers business economics and economics for undergrads. UCI and UCR offer undergraduate business degrees. UCSD offers an undergrad business minor. Berkeley offers some extemely competitive joint business and STEM degrees.

2 Likes

We’ll take a look at fixing this! Thanks for the heads up!

1 Like

Hi, I was able to tour UCLA, UCSD, USD, USC, Loyola Marymount, UW, BU, BC, Northeastern, NYU, Columbia, both Fordham campuses, and Baylor. I toured those all before being accepted. During my fall break senior year we did a few trips to the places where I had several schools on my list to make it easier to see more schools at once. I also had seen some of them before when my older brother was applying to college. The logistics of touring schools can definitely be difficult and expensive, but it was super helpful in both confirming which schools I wanted to apply to and what my top picks were.

2 Likes

Hi, I believe the CC team is working on fixing those numbers because yes OOS is definitely more.

2 Likes

We did not ask Delaney to post her experience in order to be criticized. Please feel free to ask questions, give encouragement, and generally be kind. Anything else will be flagged and immediately deleted on this post and any future posts like this from students.

Thanks for sharing @delaney.roe and for thoughtfully responding to all the questions!

22 Likes