I got rejected from everywhere except my 3 safeties, need advice

Good points. Essays, interviews (did you have any interviews, OP?) etc. all offer opportunities to let the school know what you bring to the table. The goal of the application and essays are to demonstrate why they should want you. They already know that you want them. What do you add to their community? Applicants should always look at a school’s mission statement to help them think about how to craft their essays (particularly the "why XXXXX school essay). While an essay is unlikely to be what gets a student accepted/rejected, I used to enjoy asking adcomms what some of the most memorable essays they read were. One told me he loved an essay student wrote comparing his personal and academic development to different sandwiches. Very clever, and clearly memorable.

5 Likes

Interviewed at UPenn, Princeton, Georgetown and Cornell. All of my interviews went well and lasted around 45-50 mins. Princeton’s interview was much more of a Professional Q&A tho while the other 3 were fun conversations and I think I did a good job at each interview.

Cornell’s interview isn’t evaluative but it was my best interview by far (probably cause it was my last and I was experienced by then), the alumni was a recent grad.

I think that it is important for people to truly understand their situation, especially when they are thinking about a quick transfer - and making excuses for past results. The conversations he is having with others makes me feel obligated to be brutally honest. Sorry if you find that a little rude.

5 Likes

@daacquan2 , I can’t believe this thread is still going, and that you continue to respond. You have now received the good, the bad and the ugly of various advice. If you don’t have a clue what direction to take now you never will. The only thing left that hasn’t already been said is what Bluto said to Flounder in Animal House. We’re not Bluto and you’re not Flounder so seriously, take a deep breath, gather any remaining facts, consider the alternatives, consult with your father and make a decision.

2 Likes

Not sure if this link will be allowed, but hopefully it is. Too late for other schools, but read it for BC. Reddit - Dive into anything

I still respond because people are asking me questions -.-

5 Likes

Yes, some threads go on for weeks, till the kid has decided where he’s going. :slight_smile: These threads become references later on for other high school students (or adults point other readers toward the thread as an example).

Have you set your dates for the visits?
I’d imagine you could swing by Rutgers tomorrow afternoon. A trip to DC might require a bit more planning. In both cases, contact Admissions, see if they’ll put you in touch with a student who can take you around (or use the university’s Facebook or other social media to connect with students). You could contact someone from the Poli sci dept and see if someone would be willing to meet with you (distanced/masked of course). You may also be able to eat at one cafeteria at Rutgers, pick up a student paper.
Visiting Penn State and State College would be a 2-day trip I think, 5-6 hours to get there depending on where you are in NJ, eat lunch, tour the campusvisit/meet with students. The visit can be short or long depending on whether you start at the stadium and the sports visitors center, go to the Arboretum, keep going to the campus and look at buildings, rec center, dorms, etc. And of course like at GWU and Rutgers see if you can meet with someone from the Poli Sci or SODA Departments. At Penn State you could also indicate you’d like to be a Paterno Fellow: you’d take the same classes as the Schreyer Scholars, show whether you measure up, and you get to stay in Schreyer if you keep a certain GPA (lots of cool perks and it’s a Top5 Honors College in the country).

4 Likes

Man you really gotta be less critical. How would you like it if someone did that to you?

2 Likes

I haven’t read all the answers but GW for politics is an excellent admit, usually ranked above NYU and certainly northeastern and BC for that subject.

5 Likes

Thanks for the feedback.

I’m curious as to what your guidance counselor said about your list? If you are at a strong NJ high school with a lot of students similar to yourself, the “apply to every ivy and 1 safety you hate” method should have been a red flag requiring extra counseling and information. Your big mistake was applying to all reach schools instead of mostly matches and a safety you actually like. GW is excellent for your major, but expensive. Certainly better than full pay at BC though. Prestige is a huge factor for your dad - which is unfortunate since you will almost certainly get better opportunities in Poli Sci out of GW than BC for the $280k+ cash outlay.

10 Likes

This is excellent.

Agreed. It makes me re-think my aversion to paying for college counseling unless the public HS counselors have the ability to call AOs for feedback?

HS counselors should definitely be contacting AOs on behalf of students, whether for feedback or to tell them the student will attend if admitted. We know though, that many HS counselors don’t have time to do these things, nor is college counseling a large part of their jobs. Some, but not all, independent college counselors do the same.

I don’t know if Rutgers students can even eat in a cafeteria, my friend was there a few days ago, absolutely nothing was open.

Hi Daacquan2 you are clearly an intelligent, ambitious young man but after dozens of posts, you are clearly still overly infatuated with Top 20 - I’m a Desi Dad of two college students so trust me I understand what the coffee table conversations are with the aunties around the table about schools and the like. But take it from me, they don’t know #$()*) about what truly matters in the long run. You need to pick one of these fine schools, and CRUSH it there…plunge in fully into the academics, get involved with activities, make friends, start internship searches earlier than your peers, etc. Stop thinking ASAP about where you might transfer next year, please! Imagine you go to GW, rack up a high GPA, a couple of juicy internships, some great recs from professors, and you literally have the pick of any graduate school you’d want. Or you could go to Dartmouth, get a 2.9 or whatever and be hundreds of miles from D.C. As for your dad, sorry to say this, but you gotta stand firm, educate him to some extent but once you decide on where your heart is, work on a calm, cogent, way to explain your decision and win the debate - think of it as your first lobbying gig! Now go kill it…

28 Likes

The above advice is very wise. My nephew was similarly initially disappointed by his college admission results, but he used that to motivate himself to excel at GW, a school that give him both opportunity and merit scholarship. He then went on to an Ivy law school, did brilliantly there, and is now at a top law firm with options to pursue a partnership or a competitive prosecutorial career. (He took a leave to complete an impressive clerking offer with his firm’s blessing.)

The point is undergraduate education is just the beginning and developing the right mindset and focus are paramount. Stand out and keep looking forward. I wish you every success!

12 Likes

I can’t agree more with everything you said,… except, I’ll say, it’s the “know it all” uncles. The aunties are mostly in tune with what’s going on. :slight_smile:

<side joke, and not intended to derail the topic>

1 Like

<<except, I’ll say, it’s the “know it all” uncles. The aunties are mostly in tune with what’s going on. >>

You’re right…my mistake! :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Ha ha…I am the auntie btw