I internally transferred to CS - ask me anything

@sl4122
Do letters and sciences people aspiring to go to cs take the exact same courses at the exact same time as regular cs admits for the first year

And also, the cs gateways take a year to complete totally right?

@kolifan24315 yes

@programmer13 yes. I applied a few months ago

@sl4122 , so i got a mail from the umd lep transfer group stating that students looking to internally transfer cs mostly only complete the gateways at the end of the second year. How true is this from your perspective and out of all the transfers you are acquainted with at umd, is it a norm to file the transfer application before the 2nd year?.

To sum it up, if you just complete the 3 gateways within year 1, you can officially be a cs major by the 3rd sem itself and take 216,250,330,350 etc right?

@kolifan24315 yup, if you complete the gateways in your first year, you can be a CS major by your 3rd semester.

@sl4122
Hey, not sure if you’ll see this since this is an older thread, but do you know if you can transfer directly to LEP within the same year after only 1 semester freshmen year? I’m hoping my AP credits can cover 2 of the courses if I get the required scores so I would only end up taking 1 gateway course. Unless the second CS gateway course that I would need to take uses 2 semester’s time, but I do not know that.

Hey, I am an international student who applied for computer science and got into UMD and Umass Amherst. I recieved a scholarship of 14000 $ per year at umass and got into letters and sciences at UMD which means i’ll have to internal transfer at UMD. Is UMD’s computer science program worth the extra money and the risk of not getting cs? I’m really confused, someone please suggest me what should I do.

1 Like

@vrg1305
I am literally in the exact same boat as u, im coming from abroad as well. umd l&s, umass scholarship. I ,after plenty of thought decided on umd. I wont deny that umass has a good cs dept but from what i saw, umd certainly lays a better foundation in the subject and its proximity to DC is a gem given job opportunities. However, Umass is well known for its AI electives as well. I chose umd as i wanted to double major in maths as well, and as far as math is concerned, umd is hands down a better uni. Eventually its going to boil down to what your personal preferences are and what sort of coursework you want

1 Like

@vrg1305 sorry I didn’t get back to you earlier. In terms of money, I do think that UMD is worth it for CS if you can afford it. If money is a struggle, go to UMass.

1 Like

Hey man. I got admitted to UMD for Letters and Sciences, and I want to get into the CS Major. How long does it usually take to pass all the gateway courses with the right GPA?

Thanks!

Depends on how fast you finish the requirement classes. My daughter admitted to Spring 2021, but she took classes in Fall 2020. She is transferred to CS this summer.

Thank you very much for this thread. I see that it has already helped a number of people. Appreciate if you can answer few more

• During first year in Letters and Science, would I be able to take the same course, had I been directly offered Computer Science major?
• Would I be in the College Park campus and get the same lab/professor facility as of computer science?
• What is the main difference between Carillon Communities and College Park Scholars? If I managed to get to LEP (Computer Science) via internal transfer, would I be moved to College Park Scholars?

Appreciate your answers and help on this.

Hi,

Wondering can you take classes before your scheduled admitted session? Do you have to go to campus and stay there? Can you complete similar courses from outside?

Thank you for your post.

This is a 2 year old thread. Please post in the current EA thread or start a new one.

1 Like

I’ll try to answer some of your questions.

If you fill out the housing form and subsequently commit to UMD, you will be assigned to the Carillon Communities Dorm on the UMD College Park campus.

Then, during Orientation, you will register for CMSC131. This is the same course that Direct Admit CS Majors will be taking. For you it is a “Gateway” course because you are not yet a CS Major. But you are all in the same classroom/lecture hall with the same Professor.

The next semester you would register for CMSC132. Somewhere in there you will have to take MATH140.

It is also possible to get Credit for MATH140 by getting a 4 or 5 on the AP Calc AB Subject test. You can also get Credit for CMSC131 by getting a 5 on the AP CS A Subject Test.

You can take courses for these prior to starting at UMD but you have to make sure that UMD will accept the course that you take. See the following link

https://app.transfercredit.umd.edu/

College Park Scholars is not related to any specific Major at UMD

Hello… I am alo admitted to UMD for letters and science. I am looking to transfer to CS after meeting the gateway requirements.

Could you kindly let me know if I score a 5 in the AP exam for CS 131, and in MATH 140 as well. So I have to take an exempt exam for CS 131 or will my AP credits will count towards for the gateway requirements.
Thank you for your valuable help