I just found out

<p>that I'm 1/4 Hispanic. I think I am?</p>

<p>While doing some paperwork for my parents today, I looked at my dad's birth certificate. My grandmother is 100% ethnically Hispanic. </p>

<p>I had my suspicions since my dad was born in El Salvador and he taught me a lot about the traditions, but I look so... (don't flame me) yellow.
I feel kind of racist, kinda bad, but wow I can't even type up this forum post right now. </p>

<p>I feel like I've missed out on a lot. I'm rattled up. What should I do right now? ;_;
My common app essay doesn't talk about this side of me, and all I did was click the little circle for Central America.</p>

<p>You don’t have to talk about that “side of you.” Just click the box.</p>

<p>Of course, you can talk about it if you want to, but you don’t have to.</p>

<p>Oh, sorry if the phrase “that side of you” is offending. D:<br>
To be honest, I just want the question to disappear and we all to be considered “human”.</p>

<p>I mean is it bad if I click the box and haven’t indicated my Hispanic origins during the PSAT?</p>

<p>I wasn’t offended. I was just trying to make it clear what I was referring to lol.</p>

<p>

Probably not, but I could be wrong. One of the more senior members will know, but I don’t think they could hold it against you. Just maybe not “for you,” if you know what I mean.</p>

<p>Sorry, I’m so rattled that I’m going nuts, what with college deadlines and all. D:
I mean nothing’s changed. I’m still me. Stupid clickable box.</p>

<p>Oh, okay. Thank you. :)</p>

<p>Hey, so can anyone tell me if I marked the boxes correctly?</p>

<p>I picked -</p>

<p>Hispanic: Yes : Central America
Identification: Asian : China</p>

<p>Do I also mark another box since my grandmother is not Asian or am I doing it right?</p>

<p>The first question about being Hispanic is correct. For the second question about race (incorrectly called ethnicity on the CA), you can check as many as apply. Since you are part some other race on your grandmother’s side, you should indicate that too. Hispanics can be of any race(s), so if more than Asian applies, you can mark them too. </p>

<p>As far as not marking Hispanic on the PSAT, that’s not a problem. However, be aware that while you will be considered Hispanic, the amount of ‘bump’ you get depends on many factors such as: country of origin, SES, overcoming adversity, association with Hispanic community, etc. It also depends on the individual school. For instance, at some highly selective schools there many qualified URMs applying and competition is strong, while other schools have more difficulty recruiting and keeping URMs (eg. rural LACs).</p>

<p>Not to be mean but if your father was born in El Salvador and your mother is Asian it seems pretty obvious you are in big part of Latino descent as well as Asian - Us Census mistakenly uses Hispanic/Latino to refer to both race and ethnicity. Latinos DON’T have a defined race and “Latino” is NOT a race. About the “yellow” part…have you heard of Fujimori? [ex- president of Peru] There is a really BIG community of Asians and Asian decent people living in South America/Spain and “China Towns” in many Latin American countries. </p>

<p>I am a blue eyed, extremely white and very blond Latina, and I’ve gotten inappropriate questions/comments like “wow why aren’t you brown?is you dad white or what?” (he is not)</p>

<p>D:</p>

<p>anyway enough of my rant! :slight_smile: As entomom stated you can select more than one race or ethnicity, on some College apps it would let me do more than 3 and even gave a little box to state other option not included.</p>

<p>Thank you all! Very informative!
I talked to my dad today and found out my grandmother was Mestizo, so I marked that down in the Other section.</p>

<p>I understand that by now Asians and Chinatowns are everywhere, no racism intended. But does it make me “more Hispanic” if I’m poor, living in the projects in a very Hispanic part of my city (NYC’s Southern Bronx), and go to a school where the population is predominantly non-Hispanic?</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Hard to say, that’s more of a Chances type of question, which is very difficult to predict. My advice is always just to be truthful and present yourself honestly.</p>