I just got suspended for plagiarism. Will this effect my chances to go to UC

<p>it's a notch against you but it doesn't equal instant rejection. you can attach a note saying "I cheated on a hw assignment. I learned from my mistake, and I will never consider cheating again." i know girls who got into schools like princteon and penn after getting suspended for cheating on small assignments. if it's an isolated incident and the rest of your app suggests that you are a person of strong character, colleges will not think that you are morally depraved.</p>

<p>Ugh. Why would you ever do something this stupid?</p>

<p>I'm sorry, but this is just the least intelligent thing you could possibly do with college on your radar.</p>

<p>Come on people!</p>

<p>No, your only choice is not necessarily to go to a CC. It depends on how you handle it. Admissions officers will definitely look askance at plagiarism because it runs so rampant on college campuses and they're trying to curb it. If you write a good explanation that explains that while you did do something dishonest, it is not in your character and something that you have learned from and won't repeat, you may restore some honor in their eyes. Also, it may be possible to ask a teacher to address it in a supplemental letter of recommendation, especially if the teacher in whose class you plagiarized likes you, respects you as a student, and is willing to attest to your normal working mode in that class.</p>

<p>Dude, it's homework. It's not like you snuck into the ETS buildings and switched your SATs out or stole previous tests from a teacher. You cheated on a homework assignment...it's not really a big deal or the end of the world and it doesn't mean that you'll have to go to a community college. Just calmly explain it and possibly get a teacher to vouch for you.</p>

<p>^The teacher thing sounds like a good idea. It would be great if you could get something from the teacher you cheated for like: "This student once cheated on a homework assignment in an isolated incident that has not happened since. Other than this mistake, the student is a fine young adult."</p>

<p>Sorry, cheating is cheating it does not matter if it is a homework assignment or a final exam. You can't be a little cheater any more than you can be a little bit pregnant. It shows a lack of judgement and character. </p>

<p>Excusing this type of behavior is one of the reasons this country is in the mess it is in.</p>

<p>colleges know that people make mistakes. You still have a chance if this is your first time being caught. Everyone deserves a second chance, and even colleges know that.</p>

<p>You absolutely did a very wrong, very dumb thing. At this point the only thing you CAN do is try to explain yourself and hope for the best. Some colleges may overlook it, some may see it as a major character flaw. I do feel for you, but honestly, karma comes back to bite you in the *** when you most deserve it. Don't be dumb and cheat next time.</p>

<p>What really bothers me is that people are saying things like "if you don't get caught cheating in a community college" or "if this is your first time getting caught."</p>

<p>NO!</p>

<p>Forget about getting caught. Don't cheat. Period. It's just not something you do. End. Of. Story.</p>

<p>You people need to calm down over how this is "the worst decision ever" for him. We all make mistakes and he does deserve a second chance, and I honestly don't think colleges will overlook it too well unless he has a really good explanation, but the thing about second chances is that people always bounce back. Think of this way: now that he has been busted and he sees that teachers really do monitor cheating, will he be more likely to do it in college than the kids who did cheat? No. He will probably never cheat again, so it's unfair to assume that he would do such a thing. Cheating is wrong but everyone deserves second chances. </p>

<p>At OP you should still apply (with a VERY good explanation) but if you have to go to CC, remember, it's not the end of the world.</p>

<p>^^ But that doesn't help the OP who already did cheat/plagiarize.
The way the post was worded was kind of humorous btw--did anyone else notice?</p>

<p>None of us really know for sure how colleges will take it though. Ask your guidance counselor if anything like that has happened in the past and how it was treated.</p>

<p>really, it was a crossword puzzle for vocabulary words in chemistry.</p>

<p>You cheated on hw. Being in a highly competitive school, my sense have dulled somewhat with the cheating that goes on and that which happened on a rampant scale my jr year among my classmates.</p>

<p>a friend of mine was suspended for getting caught with drugs his soph year and another one of mine was caught drinking when he threw up in the middle of chem class. they go to UCLA + UCB respectively right now.</p>

<p>having said that i think that you DEFINITELY still have a chance to get into a UC, but you must find a way to address this suspension in either your personal statement OR your explanation section. show them how you have changed. </p>

<p>The previously mentioned two ppl totally buckled down and hit the ground running after their mistakes. they studied, participated in academic competitions, showed intiative in class, and did all this on top of EC's. their hard work was shown from their resulting GPA + SAT I + II scores.</p>

<p>so what if my teacher gives me an F for the semester? can they do that?</p>

<p>it all depends on the grading policies of the teacher. i know one teacher who does gives F for an infraction like yours, while another simply gives you a 0 on the particular hw assignment/quiz/test. But if thee were to five you an F for the semester, you can still make up the F in summer school. The UC app will require you to show the F, but will also accept any make up classes for it. </p>

<p>I strongly suggest you compensate for the possible F by making sure you have good grades in your other classes and making sure your chem teacher sees how you have changed 2nd semester.</p>

<p>so should I even try applying to any csu or uc now?</p>

<p>If you are a junior, why not just take some time to see how things play out?</p>

<p>Dont listen to any of these people, this will not matter at all. This will not even be looked at by the admissions officers. They dont look at your personal file. You are going to be fine, not even a big deal.</p>

<p>But dont i need to mention this in my application? The section where it asks if you have been suspended or not.</p>

<p>yes you do need to mention it. UC's do not want to be surprised when seeing that the info on your transcript, which you send after getting accepted, differs from that on your app.</p>

<p>Seriously, taking someone's paper, erasing the name and then putting your own on it, is one of the biggest dick moves.</p>