I just spoke with UA Media Relations about this Sorority Controversy

<p>Just spoke with Cathy Andreen, after being transferred to her by Deborah Lane, of Univ. Relations. Cathy was very kind and polite and made it clear that UA is investigating this matter. She agreed with me that it is not good to see these black eyes on UA’s image. Does anyone have the president’s phone number? I encourage anyone who feels strongly about the sorority issue to call UA admin, and let them know how you feel. It is 2013, and the national media will continue to air our dirty laundry, till we as alumni and supporters say enough is enough, and clean it ourselves. We know that UA is wonderful, but the nation as a whole does not, and news stories such as this just perpetuate bad perceptions of UA and the South.</p>

<p>[Staff</a> Directory, Office of University Advancement - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://advancement.ua.edu/advdirectory.html#staffur]Staff”>http://advancement.ua.edu/advdirectory.html#staffur)</p>

<p>I admire you for walking the walk, Atlanta.</p>

<p>That’s a start, Atlanta68.</p>

<p>Are there any parents of current Greek students who have spoken to the administration and expressed their concerns since if the story is true, the girl was cut from all houses?</p>

<p>Atlanta68, this is what I found for a phone number</p>

<p>[Judy</a> Bonner - Campus Directory | The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://directory.ua.edu/person/jbonner]Judy”>CAS - Central Authentication Service)</p>

<p>I say the houses that have the alums that are being so adamant about not accepting any AA girls, kick those alums out as advisors for rush and get some fresh faces in that are not so… well, I won’t use what word(s) I really want. You get my jest. I think the current actives that are the leaders IN the houses now can stand up and pick who they want as their advisors. I say interview them and see where they stand. Then those old bitty’s that are being _______ can get the door slammed on their behinds.</p>

<p>Good job, Atlanta68.</p>

<p>Well done Atlanta!</p>

<p>@bamagirls – The student at issue wasn’t necessarily cut from all the houses. Without knowing what the student’s invitation history looked like, it can not be definitely declared that she was cut by every house. She may have, in fact, cut several houses on her own. If she had a full schedule on Philanthropy day (the first invitational day) – then she had the opportunity to select houses that she did not wish to return to. Those houses that she chose not to return to would then only be able to offer her a bid if they were under quota after preference and needed to make “snap” bids or if they were engaged in continuous open bidding after recruitment.</p>

<p>^ The ABC news article has been pulled (not only the live article, but every cached version, at least from what I could find). I no longer have a copy of it, but I believe it states this girl was cut in the first round.</p>

<p>I just spoke with Dr. Bonner’s secretary. She said they are “on top of this.” She was very nice. But I do think others need to call as well.</p>

<p>@paying4college:</p>

<p>I seem to recall reading somewhere that she was dropped by all houses. Perhaps I am mistaken? Was that mentioned in the ABC article, Class2012mom?</p>

<p>I’m not trying to convict anyone here, but I still would like to know. Have any parents whose student is Greek and who disagree with this called anyone?</p>

<p>I’m not the one who started any of these threads and I certainly don’t want to give the UA a black eye, but if the story is accurate it is appalling regardless of what goes on elsewhere.</p>

<p>OK, ‘got your back’ as it were.</p>

<p>I just sent an email to <a href=“mailto:president@ua.edu”>president@ua.edu</a> expressing my dissappointment.</p>

<p>I just sent Dr. Bonner an e-mail as well. Depending on the response, I may follow up with a call.</p>

<p>I sent an e-mail to Dr. Bronner this morning.</p>

<p>Now we’re getting somewhere. Great job to all of you who are taking a stand for what you believe.</p>

<p>The administration needs to suspend sorority activities while they investigate. Even if it’s only a couple of days it’s the only way to show they are serious.
As the CW says this is talked about every year to at this time and nothing is done. It sounds like they have concrete evidence this time to enact changes.</p>

<p>This is just as serious as hazing that occurred last year and the past president shut all pledging activities for the year.
President Bonner needs to send a message that is loud and clear…suspend their sorority rush right now.</p>

<p>Ummm.</p>

<p>Serious, Yes. Certainly.</p>

<p>Immediate threat to health? Elbow push-ups on up-ended bottle caps? Or whatever it was. No.</p>

<p>I think not.</p>

<p>We know that UA is wonderful, but the nation as a whole does not, and news stories such as this just perpetuate bad perceptions of UA and the South.</p>

<p>Totally agree in spirit, and I love the way you’re taking action. I hate to see a black eye on UA, but this is really more than a bad perception of UA, it is one of the first times there is undisputed proof that this is (and has) been going on for years. Any student or alumni who says it isn’t the case is either fooling themselves or living in a hole. I know this is how it has been since forever in the South, but (like 50 years ago) it’s time for a real change. It may have to come at the price of the Greek system as a whole, for every “punishment” laid down a new offense pops up, obviously no one involved takes this seriously. Maybe it takes a drop in incoming students? There’s no way the apologists can talk their way around this one.</p>

<p>Thanks for the email addresses :)</p>

<p>Sent a letter as well.</p>

<p>Sororities AND frats should be investigated. The frats are no better.</p>