I know the percent of Asians is small but

<p>is it really that small? I’m a junior of korean descent and i went to a college fair a couple of weeks ago the representative really sold me on the Bama and now is my top goal/dream to go!</p>

<p>Anyway, it isn’t a big deal or anything, but how strong is the asian community there? I’m just curious because it’s a big school and i’ve never really stayed long in a big school environment, so if i end up getting admitted/going to Bama, i thought it’d be best to know what’s up.</p>

<p>…I’ve also been stalking the forum for Bama (have i mentioned i really love the school?) and there’s a lot of Greek going on. Is there a place for an asian in a sorority?</p>

<p>Congrats to everything that got in so far! You guys are so lucky :)</p>

<p>Welcome! :)</p>

<p>There are Asian girls in sororities, so if that’s an interest for you, then go thru Rush. I can write a rec for you for my sorority which is on campus. </p>

<p>Were you interested in Asian clubs? </p>

<p>Do you mostly have Asian friends or do you have a mix of friends? </p>

<p>What will your major be? I know that some majors - particularly STEM majors and business majors - have more Asian students.</p>

<p>Will you be able to visit the school? </p>

<p>Be sure to post in our Roll Call thread! :)</p>

<p>With Bama’s size, 32,000 students, two percent Asian means there are 640 Asian students on campus. Not enough I know, but it is growing, and that is a bigger number than you would find on most small public or large liberal arts colleges.</p>

<p>I’m Chinese, but I’ve been here in south Florida since 6th grade, and the Asian population is tiiiny (we’re talking 3 or 4 total in my graduating class), so I’m used to it.</p>

<p>There is an open FB group named Alabama Students Interested in Asia, obviously it is not only or all Asian students involved…passing along thinking you may want to check it out to see the types of activities and events they do and/or friend some of the Asian students and ask for their direct feedback on their experience at UA.
Here is an example of a recent posting: </p>

<p>The Exotic Food Tasting Trip (EFTT) is TOMORROW (Wed, Oct. 19, 3:30–5:00, @ 2nd floor of B. B. Comer Hall)!!! </p>

<p>It is a wonderful way to try sample sizes food from different cultures around the world. This year, we offer Korean(1), Japanese(2), Chinese(3), Persian(4), Turkish(5), Portuguese(6), French(7), Kenyan (8), Greek (9), German (10), Costa Rican (11), Iraqi (12), Egyptian (13), Indian (14) and Thai (15) food. It is an excellent opportunity to enjoy, to learn and appreciate cultural and language differences. This is definitely the event you do not want to miss this year!!</p>

<p>There actually seems to be more than just 2% Asian, not sure if that number includes all the international students here. Or maybe it’s just me, since Asians tend to group with Asians.</p>

<p>As for greek, I know a few Asians in frats. I know a lot of fraternities here are traditionally white, but they do accept asian/hispanics.</p>

<p>It may seem like there are more Asians than the numbers indicate because…</p>

<p>1) Asian students are largely in STEM majors and B-majors, so can see like the Asian population is larger if you’re in those classes/majors.</p>

<p>2) I’m not sure if int’l Asian numbers get counted. On another CC forum, it was said that schools don’t count the ethnicities of int’l students in their stats…don’t know if that’s true or not. It was said that this was to prevent schools from skewing their Black numbers by enrolling many who aren’t from the US. Again, don’t know if this is true or not.</p>

<p>3) Some Asian kids do not report their ethnicities of their college apps.</p>

<p>It may supposedly be 2% but honestly I see asians everywhere on campus.</p>

<p>OP
Think carefully!
There might be reasons why Alabama and many southern colleges have very low Asian populations.</p>

<p>*There might be reasons why Alabama and many southern colleges have very low Asian populations. *</p>

<p>If you’re suggesting that the reason is some kind of racism against Asians, then you are very wrong.</p>

<p>The main reason why there aren’t many Asians in Southern schools is simply geography. Asians tend to immigrate to the West Coast and to the NE. So, their kids are going to be more largely concentrated in those schools.</p>

<p>Do not suggest something ugly that doesn’t exist.</p>

<p>I did not suggest there is racism against Asians in Alabama.
OP might feel out of place in Alabama.
Also, 2% Asian population means OP could be the only Asian in many of his/her classes.</p>

<p>I was accepted from Vanderbilt with great FA package but I had no intention of attending Vanderbilt after witnessed a pickup truck with “the flag” during the school visit. Things like that make people very uncomfortable and make people feel out of place.</p>

<p>Our DD, Caucasian American who spent 6wks in China with a Chinese host family two summers ago on a language scholarship and who is minoring in Chinese at UA was at a cultural event on campus a week ago where they were doing Henna tattoos. There were so many kids in line that they also had a self serve table. She went over to the self serve table and began to write her Chinese name in characters on her arm. Within seconds she said five Asian students came over and began a conversation with her, talking about her Chinese name pronunciation, which made her so happy. She told them of her time in China which resulted in lots of questions back and forth about her experiences in China. She commented how much fun it was getting to know them and obviously they enjoyed it also as there has been FB friending since… and so intercultural friendships begin as they do on any campus.</p>

<p>I see “the flag” all over the place down here (Florida), and I’ve never had more than 1 or 2 other Asian kids in any of my classes. OP might be in a completely different situation, of course, and the small percentage of Asian students might be something to consider. It all depends on whether or not she has hung out with mostly Asian kids throughout her life.</p>

<p>You will have no problem fitting in on campus. The majority of the students here are pretty “colorblind,” the only thing you may notice is a large percentage of the Asian student population is international, as in they’re foreign exchange students.</p>

<p>Interesting discussion; thanks to the OP for initiating. My Bama-bound son (non-Asian) is currently a senior at a predominantly Asian STEM magnet outside of Washington, DC, and based on the chatter we hear I suspect that the Asian percentage at high merit aid schools will increase rapidly in the coming years as the recession continues to grind away at the middle class. There is no question that there has been a lingering bias against Southern universities but Alabama is quietly moving onto the radar screen; things like Huntsville being named one of the five “geekiest” cities in America are getting the attention of people who normally would not even think of going to a school in Alabama. As for us, we knew UA would be “home” the first morning we set foot on campus this past August and met Dr. Fridley and Dr. Sharpe.</p>

<p>I agree that Bama’s Asian numbers will likely start to go up. I would like to know if int’l Asian students get counted. </p>

<p>*As for us, we knew UA would be “home” the first morning we set foot on campus this past August and met Dr. Fridley and Dr. Sharpe. *</p>

<p>When we first visited Bama, older son was a junior in high school. Bama was the 7th or 8th school we had visited that year. We did the campus tour thing and then wandered into the Honors College - no appt, just wandered in.</p>

<p>Dr. Sharpe invited us into his office and he spent over an hour with us. Dr. S told our son all about CBH and other things that Bama offered. When it was time to go, he walked us to our car. </p>

<p>Exactly one year later, we came back to the campus and headed first to Lakeside Dining which was still being built (the upstairs then-burger joint was finished and open). In the food line was Dr. Sharpe. He came up to us, remembered our NAMES, and we were blown away. After that, there was no question about where our son would be going. Getting into CBH after that was just the icing on the cake. </p>

<p>As for remembering names…When Timeflew’s D first visited Bama, we were on campus about a week later. I told Dr. S that a Memphis NMF young lady had visited the week before. Dr. S asked if her name was _____ ______ and it was!</p>

<p>I was at the game this weekend, and I saw a LOT of Asian Indians in the stadium. I thought it was great. My partner is part Asian, and we noticed big smiles on their faces. They were just as much into the game as anyone else. Anyone trying to scare Asians away with talk of “the flag” are being drama queens!</p>

<p>“I saw a LOT of Asian Indians in the stadium.”
Are they international students or are they Asian Americans?</p>

<p>Just out of curiosity</p>

<p>I know Alabama wants to recruit National Merit Scholars (Finalists).
Are there many Asian American NMF at Alabama?</p>

<p>*I know Alabama wants to recruit National Merit Scholars (Finalists).
Are there many Asian American NMF at Alabama? *</p>

<p>I don’t know if Bama lists any stats for NMFs by ethnicity. That said I know that there are NMF Asian students at Bama, just don’t know the number.</p>

<p>Coming from an area with a large Asian population, I do notice that UA has a smaller percentage of Asian students. That said, I do have classes where Asian students comprise 20-30% of the class. I firmly believe that any student can find their place at UA, provided that they are open to meeting new people and trying new experiences.</p>