I Need a Checklist

<p>It seems like there is so much to do- I need an experienced parent to either talk me off the ledge or give me a good checklist.</p>

<p>Now that D has finally decided to attend Bama, I feel like I’ve become her executive secretary. In the past couple days, I’ve registered her for Bama Bound and made travel arrangements for Bama Bound, Family Weekend and Fall Break. She’s filled out the OA application. I made her a dentist appointment for over fall break. I know in the next 1-3 months we need to get the immunization form filled out, take a picture for the ACT card before Bama Bound, put together a list of prospective classes and alternates, and do room selection. Oh, and remember to sign up for the all-important football tickets. And that’s all before we even think about what she’s taking, how she’s getting there, etc. in August. So what am I forgetting? This is my oldest, and it all seems a bit overwhelming.</p>

<p>Open a bank acct with a debit card for your D…either one in your area or one in the T-town area. If you’re opening one in the T-town area, then Alabama Credit Union is on campus.</p>

<p>Can’t think of anything else. Maybe have an ortho appt before she goes to make sure everything is ok with all of that. (S2 is on second set of braces and we had to find a T-town Ortho for that. ) If eyes are an issue, make an eye doctor appt and get extra contacts or glasses.</p>

<p>I should add…if your child wears a retainer at night, get a commitment that he/she will wear it…otherwise, you’ll be in our shoes. :(</p>

<p>Is she Rushing? If so, you need an Assistant for your Executive Secretary position.</p>

<p>LOL, Asaunmom! I don’t doubt that. She’s not rushing, so at least I won’t have to interview assistants and engage a personal shopper for her (this kid owns nothing but jeans, shorts and t-shirts).</p>

<p>M2CK, we’ve had enough lost retainer scares that I think I might have a spare made before she goes. She has friends who’ve had to get the 2nd set of braces, so that riot act has been read. Thanks for mentioning the ortho - I wouldn’t have thought of that.</p>

<p>A couple of tidbits we have learned from our daughter’s experience:</p>

<p>Get her a copy of glasses/contacts prescription. Add her as an authorized user on your cellphone provider in case she has to replace a phone. </p>

<p>Get an accordion folder to keep important documents/items in (extra car key, prescriptions, deposit slips, etc.). Also a small notebook to keep account names and passwords in.</p>

<p>For packing/planning: If you are interested I have an Excel spreadsheet template that I developed for my daughter’s first year in the Honors dorm. It was very helpful in determining what we had and what we needed to get and what each roommate was going to be responsible for. PM me if you are interested.</p>

<p>Speaking of wardrobe, my D was happy to see a plethora of t-shirts and Nike shorts on campus when we visited last week. So it sounds like your D is in good shape in the clothing area!</p>

<p>Plan to rent her PO Box while you’re on campus for orientation.</p>

<p>Ok, I my daughter is attending this fall, so Peachtide I would like your excel sheet! Also I guess I need to make arrangements for all the events that will be happening!</p>

<p>Shop during the off-season for some extra “day to day” apparel. Now’s the time to get good deals on jackets, sweaters, boots, etc. I also got my kids some silky long underwear (very, very thin) that can be worn under pants and tops…great for keeping them warm.</p>

<p>Then, after July, stock up on Tshirts, shorts, etc.</p>

<p>Kids often need about 2 weeks worth of socks and undies.</p>

<p>M2CK - I realized (with horror) when looking for something in D’s closet the other day that she has a 13+ week supply of t-shirts!! That’s almost an entire semester’s worth, and clearly won’t fit in a dorm closet. Of course, she only has about 5 other shirts in total. That’s just embarrassing to admit.</p>

<p>illinoisbamamom: PM me your email address and I will be glad to send it to you!</p>

<p>My son informed me the other day that he will be bringing ‘all his favorite t-shirts’ - which by my count is about 40! I think we will have to work on narrowing that down. :)</p>

<p>my mom is making my son a t-shirt quilt out of some of his older t shirts from numerous life events. I am guessing my son will choose his clothes to bring, and will then as us to ship what else he thinks he needs. </p>

<p>M2CK- trying to picture my son in silky long underwear…</p>

<p>one thing my DS learned. Leave 1/2 of favorites home and you can travel with backpack. :)</p>

<p>lol…I’ve actually seen younger son in them. They look like he’s wearing a black bodysuit. lol But, they’re 100% knitted silk, very thin, and keep you warm and toasty. i get them at Landsend.</p>

<p>[underwear</a> in all products at Lands’ End.](<a href=“Lands' End | Swimwear, Outerwear, Casual Clothing and more”>Lands' End | Swimwear, Outerwear, Casual Clothing and more)</p>

<p>I have some, too. They are super to sleep in or to wear under clothes
<a href=“Lands' End | Swimwear, Outerwear, Casual Clothing and more”>http://www.landsend.com/ix/Women/UserSearch=underwear/index.html?seq=2~1&catNumbers=83&visible=1~1&store=le&sort=Recommended&pageSize=24&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>My kids LOVE them in cold weather to wear under jeans. Great for walking thru campus on cold days. And since they’re silk you don’t get hot in them.</p>

<p>And…yes to leaving a good number of clothes at home…then you don’t have to travel with much at all.</p>

<p>Beth’s Mom … we found that summer / hot weather cloths pretty much lasted well through Turkey Day, so my D brough back her winter cloths with her at that time. Now as we’re planning for her to come home in 2 months, we need to determine what she should leave behind. :-)</p>

<p>I would concur with all the extra advice re: tools, glasses & contacts, medical kit, extra long ethernet cable, extension cord or power strips, etc. But I would also add that we purchased almost everything for her dorm room from Bed Bath and Beyond and picked it all up in Birmingham. Remember BB&B is one of the only stores that it’s coupons NEVER expire. So ask around to your friends and neighbors, we collected a STACK of coupons from them and ended up saving almost $400 … it adds up!</p>

<p>I’ve got a collection of the BB&B coupons just waiting for college shopping. But that’s a great idea - I have to get all my family members to start collecting them as well. Most of my friends have college bound kids, so they’re hoarding their own coupons! I’m surprised there isn’t a Bed Bath & Beyond in Tuscaloosa. One would think the market is there. I just don’t see us doing the drive back to Birmingham to pick stuff up there - we may come down for drop off in a camper pulling D’s car, and I don’t want to be navigating the local streets of Birmingham in that big boy on the way down.</p>

<p>Definitely a long surge protector with a good sized cord…a couple of them! They help make outlets more accessible…and regular extension cords are not allowed.</p>

<p>Save all of your BBB coupons…even the expired ones.</p>

<p>There isn’t a BBB in T-town, but there’s one in B’ham. I do think T-town will get one soon.</p>

<p>Also…this is the time to buy waterproof/warm shoes on sale.</p>

<p>Thanks for starting this Beth’s Mom! I’m furiously jotting things down (and I thought I had it all under control)!!</p>