I need advice. Moving to ca

<p>Hello, I am currently attending CC in upstate NY and set on leaving this dead state. </p>

<p>I have a few questions. By the end of this semester i will be 8 credits short of completing my associates degree in Liberal Arts. Should i complete it before i move out of state? Or does it not really matter being its a different state?</p>

<p>I wish to live in a nice area near the beach. I am looking for affordable colleges perhaps private. I am interested in majoring in something public policy related, perhaps environmental studies.</p>

<p>I would like feedback on what area i would get the most out of my college experience.
-Also are you granted a large grant while attending an expensive private college? I am independent.</p>

<p>any information about moving to cali and the best college atmosphere would be great :)</p>

<p>and yes i understand ca is expensive and its in a ruff economic time right now, however i am focused on exploring and experiencing what life has to offer ! :)</p>

<p>talk my ear off!!!:)</p>

<p>None of the privates will be affordable without a lot of aid. State schools will be a lot cheaper, but you will need to establish residency first. This means moving here, and living here for a full year. You can google what the UC and CS system require. It is the same for both.</p>

<p>For schools near the beach - UCSB (they have their own beach!) UCSC, UCSD, CSULB, CSU Montery, CSU Humboldt. I am sure there are a couple more CSs. UCLA is easy by bus.</p>

<p>For private - you might look into Loyola Marymount. </p>

<p>It might be better to get your AA, but if you have 60 transferrable credits, i am not sure it matters too much. Look at the websites to see.</p>

<p>Cal Poly SLO is also not too far from the beach.
For privates, Pepperdine and Point Loma Nazarene are right on the beach, while Westmont and Loyola Marymount are just a few miles away.</p>

<p>The big thing about California is that it’s EXPENSIVE. My cost of attendance to UCSB as an instate student is about 30k; I’d hate to think what it would be for someone out of state. You’re probably looking at anywhere from 42k-50k. The privates will probably provide you with better financial aid, so look there. The one good thing about being an OOS student is that the California publics are looking to make more money, and I believe that they said they will be taking more OOS applicants because of the larger tuition fee.</p>

<p>I don’t think of Pepperdine as right on the beach, but I guess that depends how you define “on the beach”</p>

<p>also depends on how you define “affordable”, “near the beach” and “grants”.</p>

<p>There are some small Christian colleges in So Cal, not sure how far they are from the beach, that seem more “affordable”, and generous with merit aid, but I don’t know if you you should choose one based on that. Point Loma Nazarene, Westmont, and Azuza Pacific for example. You can find some info here.
[Christian</a> Colleges - College Confidential](<a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/christian-colleges/]Christian”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/christian-colleges/)</p>

<p>St. Mary’s seems to offer fair merit as well. </p>

<p>The UC’s currently describe a 51 K COA, OOS. The other well known privates are about the same. Occidental is not near a beach, but I think it might be a good choice for Public Policy.</p>

<p>I didn’t think ALL the UC’s and CSU’s had exactly the same residency requirements, but they all seem to require that you demonstrate financial independence by working a year or more, and showing with your pay stub and budget, how your income will allow you to pay for everything. Dormitories, if available for upperclassman, might help. Here is an example of what you will pay for something “near the beach”. Apartments start at $1,300.00/month in Santa Monica. After our medical residencies, husband and I had to move out of So. Cal to find something we could afford to buy.
<a href=“272 Apartments for Rent in Santa Monica, CA | Westside Rentals”>272 Apartments for Rent in Santa Monica, CA | Westside Rentals;

<p>You should post here too.</p>

<p>[California</a> Colleges - College Confidential](<a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/california-colleges/]California”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/california-colleges/)</p>