I need help calculating my UC and CSU GPA!

<p>Hello,</p>

<p>Since I’m from NY, our GPA system is a bit different from those that CSU and UC schools use. I was hoping someone could help me calculate my GPA for both CSU and UC schools since i’m looking to apply at schools like SDSU, UCSB, Cal Poly, and UCLA.</p>

<p>I’m a little confused with the a-g course thing since I took many of the a-g courses when I was in 8th and 9th grade and supposedly grades 8 and 9 are not calculated in your CSU and UC GPA. Here’s a list of all the classes I have taken from grades 8-11 and the grades which have been calculated in my school’s GPA.</p>

<p>8th grade:</p>

<li>Honors Earth Science (lab): B</li>
<li>Honors Math 1 (algebra 1): B</li>
<li>Spanish: A</li>
</ol>

<p>9th grade:</p>

<li>English: B</li>
<li>Global History: B</li>
<li>Honors Math 1 and 2 (algebra 1 and 2): B</li>
<li>Honors Biology (lab): B</li>
<li>Keyboarding: A</li>
<li>Studio in Art: A</li>
</ol>

<p>10th grade:</p>

<li>English: A</li>
<li>Global History: B</li>
<li>Honors Math 2: B</li>
<li>Chemistry (lab): B</li>
<li>Video Production: A</li>
</ol>

<p>11th grade:</p>

<li>Business law: A</li>
<li>English: A</li>
<li>Sports marketing: A</li>
<li>Honors Pre-Calc: B</li>
<li>US History: A</li>
</ol>

<p>Also will any of my grades for 12th grade matter for my transcript?</p>

<p>Thank you in advance!</p>

<p>Only grades in 10 & 11. Cal State and UC calculation is the same.</p>

<p>Video production may or may not count for a-g. Also unsure about Business Law and Sports marketing. If they care considered College Prep at your HS, then they would likely be a-g electives. </p>

<p>Any APs? If not, the only bonus point class you have is Honors Pre-Calc. Thus, figure 4.0 for an A, 3.0 for a B and so on. 8 A's = 32 points, plus 4 B's = 12 grade points for a total of 44. Double to convert to semesters = 88 grade points. Add in two grades points for Honors Pre-Calc (again, converting to semesters), and you have a total of 88 grade points. Divide by 24 semesters and your UC gpa is 3.67. (All above assumes Video Production, Biz Law & Sports Marketing does count for a-g).</p>

<p>btw: UCLA admissions is extremely competitive and your chances would be enhanced with four full years of each academic core subject. SDSU is impacted and gives priority to San Diego residents; a 3.6 would be low even if instate, but out of area residence.</p>

<p>Why wouldn't Honors Math B (algebra 2) count? I took that in 10th grade.</p>

<p>Nope. Alg II is a requirement for admissions, so they dropped the bonus point for that class ~4 years ago.</p>

<p>From the UC Counselors website FAQs:</p>

<p>How do you calculate an out-of-state applicant's GPA? Do you give extra credit for AP courses even if the school doesn't have "UC-certified" courses?</p>

<pre><code>In calculating a nonresident's GPA, UC will grant honors weight for AP or IB courses only, but not for school-designated honors courses.
</code></pre>