I need help choosing what major I want!

I don’t know what major i want to do. I am able to transfer to a university in two years since I will be getting my GE done. I can’t decide whether to do Management Information systems or Nursing. If I go the nursing route then I plan to get my doctorate to become a Emergency room Nurse Practitioner. I like computers, I have a strong interest in technology but not sure if I can handle 2+ more years of more math since I am in Pre-Calc. I like nursing because I volunteered at the hospital for 3 years and I enjoyed helping patients there. I am very desperate on making the right decision. It’s either MIS or Nursing.

@jtsang777 My advice to you would be to consider if you really like working with people or not. As a nurse, you HAVE to like people in general. You have to be able to go the extra mile to help anyone and you’ll be immersed in settings with all types of people your whole career. If you do like people and enjoy helping patients, like you said, I think you should definitely choose nursing. It’s really a best of both worlds for you too because there is a ton of technology in the medical field today and there will only be more in years to come. As for the math part, don’t let that determine your entire career. Anything is possible if you set your mind to it.

If you really are undecided, sometimes it is best to keep your options open. I assume you are a freshman, and that your college doesn’t not have any restrictions on who can be a pre-nursing major. In that case, maybe you could start in MIS, while using your electives to take classes that will be needed to apply for nursing school. You will still need to make a decision - but it might give you a few more months to decide.

Nursing definitely. They can’t outsource nursing like IT jobs. Plus a million other reasons. Just reading your own post though seals the deal – you know the nursing environment, you enjoy it, and your experience is something you can build on. You even have a dream for your specialty. Go for it!

I just don’t know what to pick though. I like helping people, but at the same time becoming a Systems analyst sounds like a good job to have.

First of all, I don’t know anything about computer sc & it seems silly for me to post a comment
but I was reading about Nursing Speciality in another forum & I read about " Nursing Informatics ".
Requires a BSN & knowledge of Computer Sc.
It is an advanced degree / Master degree.
Maybe this is something that may interest you?

If you get accepted in a Nursing Program, you can take computer classes either after you graduated or whenever you can fit in the extra class.
Or you can go into Computer Sc now.

Our D is a CCRN and an Emergency Room Nurse Practitioner in an academic medical center and guess what-everything is computerized, from medical records thru most all diagnostic and treatment equipment. So you can have the best of both worlds in such a setting.

So funny because I have one kid wrapping up a BSN and looking for residency programs and another majoring in comp sci/ math. I have to agree, the difference is really how you feel about people, which is very different from wanting to help people. Nurses see people at their worst, when they’re sick and stessed and not always pleasant. In other words, many of the people you’re going to help won’t be all that nice to you. And there’s a yuck factor beyond gore. Went shoe shopping with the BSN where we very carefully avoided anything with mesh as, well, sometimes there’s trodding through waste. You also have to remember that you don’t just waltz into those ER jobs. You’ll probably need to spend some time on a med surg floor, transfer to ER, then start the DNP, which is 4-5 years. It’s a longer career trajectory. Obviously, I’m not saying this to deter you as I have one starting in this field who likes it.

Meanwhile, the comp sci/math kid will spend the day solving problems. She may also be very helpful to people, but may not work with nearly as many of them. To get to the earning level of a DNP, she’ll need to work hard, but she won,t need a doctorate. In fact , her field will more than likely provide opportunities to exceed that salary, depending on how well she codes.