I need help with ECs

<p>I'm working on my app and I need some help extracurricular-wise to increase my chances of getting in. I want to major in Petroleum engineering.</p>

<p>Quick summary about myself:
I'm a OOS applicant from a highly competitive high school in NY (US News #2).
MY school doesn't rank.
3.3/4.0 gpa. (my school doesn't weight)
SAT I: 2030 (600 CR, 740 M, 690 W)</p>

<p>As you can see I have a relatively low gpa and less than stellar SAT score. I expect to do much better on the ACT coming up in September, but that would be much to late for this app.</p>

<p>My ECs are pretty short.</p>

<p>-Mock Trial Team (4 years)
Won city champions and was a state finalist freshmen year.
-Interning at a Accounting and Law firm this summer.
-There are various clubs at school that I joined through out my time in high school.
Are they worth putting on the app?.
-I want to do a sport senior year and begin volunteering sometime soon.
Is it alright to put this on my app or would it be considered lying?</p>

<p>My ECs don't reflect an interest in engineering because I only recently decided what I wanted to do for college.</p>

<p>What are my chances at Petroleum engineering?</p>

<p>Your chances aren’t great. You know that A&M (and UT) are both public schools and therefore strongly favor Texas kids. Your GPA will make it difficult. Your SAT is OK. </p>

<p>You know Texas Tech offers petroleum engineering too. It is a public school that favors Texas kids but is a little easier to get in than A&M and UT. If you really want to do PetE then I would apply to Tech too. It will be easier to get in there. LSU also offers PetE.</p>

<p>Apply to all of them and see what happens.</p>

<p>Only put EC’s that you’ve actually done or are registered for…not ones you just plan to do. I don’t actually think you’re that weak. Your ECs are not bad at all. They don’t have to show an interest in engineering. Your math SAT is strong, and your CR is adequate. Be sure to include interests and future plans somehow in your essays, maybe. If TAMU assigns you in the top 25%, then you’re in. Apply other places, but I think you have a fair shot.</p>

<p>Thanks for the replies guys. </p>

<p>Is it worth putting on my app the various clubs I have partook in just for the sake of filling it up? </p>

<p>@kldat1 I don’t if I should make a general thread asking about my chances at top Petroleum engineering programs. I’ll definitely look into Texas Tech. I’m also looking at schools like Colorado School of Mines and Oklahoma University. What do my chances look like there?</p>

<p>Colorado School of Mines is an excellent petroleum engineering school. The location in Golden is awesome. I think you have a good chance there. But be prepared for a big bill. It is expensive for OOS and they don’t really offer that much money. It is a much smaller school than A&M, UT, OU or Tech.</p>

<p>I’m sure you could get into Tech and OU. I’m not sure about costs at OU but I think it is more expensive than Tech.</p>

<p>Does University of Houston have a better petroleum engineering program than Texas Tech?</p>

<p>And how does LSU compare to OU, Houston, and Tech?</p>

<p>U of Houston has one but I think it is new and I’ve heard it is not ABET accredited yet. But I don’t know. Personally I think Tech is a little better at this point.</p>

<p>In my personal opinion I would rate those 4 this way:
LSU
OU
Tech
Houston</p>

<p>Only because I don’t know much about Houston’s program. I think LSU may be the most generous with money.</p>