I need some help!

<p>So, i've been accepted to both UW madison and UofM Twin Cities, and am currently leaning towards Madison..
I do have one question, however. At Minnesota I was accepted right into the college of biological sciences, but at Madison, students are just accepted into the university as a whole. So, i was wondering, how hard is it to get into your specific college/program at Madison? and how exactly does that whole process work? Also, I plan on following a pre med course, and majoring in molecular biology, or something like that.
Thanks in advance for your help!</p>

<p>I hesitate to respond as I am not completely certain of what I am about to post. I suggest contacting UW directly about your question to verify.</p>

<p>To my knowledge, although there is a degree of competitiveness to some major programs at UW (e.g., engineering, journalism, pharmacy, business), majors in L&S, including the biological sciences (they are not assigned into a separate school like CBS at U of MN), are not. As long as you remain in good academic standing with your general degree you can major in any of them (and change your mind to major in another, too).</p>

<p>MB major at UW: [Molecular</a> Biology Major](<a href=“http://www.biology.wisc.edu/Academic_Programs/Molecular_Biology/index.asp]Molecular”>http://www.biology.wisc.edu/Academic_Programs/Molecular_Biology/index.asp)</p>

<p>BTW, although you need to pursue and do well in some chemistry and bio courses for med school prep, you don’t have to major in a biological science. Social science and humanities majors interest med schools, too.</p>

<p>You might find this of interest: <a href=“http://aed.rso.wisc.edu/stuff/guide(justin).pdf[/url]”>http://aed.rso.wisc.edu/stuff/guide(justin).pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Congratulations on the CBS admittance. It is the most selective of the schools at U of MN.</p>

<p>I don’t understand your post. Every significant life sciences major is offered by CALS (College of Agriculture and Life Sciences) with Bio and Bio Core honors also offered in CLS. Didn’t you check a college for admission when you applied?</p>

<p>Thanks Descartesz!
And to bohligtomack74, I did check molecular biology as my major, which is in college of letters and science, when I applied. But when I checked my application status and it said that I was accepted, it just said I was accepted to the University of Wisconsin Madison, not the college of letters and science specifically. So, thats why i was just wondering when you can enter your college/major of choice and how hard it is, because at Minnesota, you are accepted directly into your college of choice within the University upon admittance.</p>

<p>Good thing about UW- your acceptance isn’t tied to a proposed major/school/college and therefore you can switch majors to any school/college without worry about losing your admission. The downside for some is that they may not get into their field of choice as some have limited enrollment due to available teaching resources, including lab space, for some engineering, nursing, teaching. But those with those fields in mind will get in if they really want to and do the work by getting the grades in the prerequisite courses. For every major you need to have a certain UW gpa in it to be “accepted to the major”- easily obtained since you need to do welll enough to handle the advanced courses.</p>

<p>Biological sciences include majors in both the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences and the College of Letters and Sciences. Biochemistry and Biology can be done in either- the nonmajor requirements are slightly different. Most other related fields are in L&S. None of the likely biological majors you plan will be hard to be in- you just need the gpa in the field to be accepted to the major.</p>

<p>With premed intentions you will likely stay in L&S- the default entry school/college for most entering freshmen since most need courses from it. Some excellent Honors course sequences available at UW for those interested in math, physics, chemistry and biology, some appealing to you. I would go with UW as it is the campus you most like. You will not have any trouble majoring in a field related to you medical school goal. You will have to study to get the good grades- good preparation for medical school rigors. You, like the majority of premed students, are likely to change your mind or not get accepted to medical school. Therefore be sure to choose the major you most like and want to pursue, not the one you think will best prepare you for medical school. As a physician I know you don’t need to take any courses other than those required for admissions- they will teach you everthing you need. Spend your undergrad electives on courses you can’t take later, including fun stuff and music, art and literature- save anatomy and the like for later.</p>

<p>Thanks for the info wis75!</p>