i need to transfer real badly. (corps of cadet)

<p>do you think i have a chance to transfer into my sophomore year (fall 2011)?</p>

<p>college gpa: 3.7, 1st sem freshman year (18 credits, currently taking 20)
activities:
[ul]
[<em>]federal internship (got 3 more for the summer)
[</em>]went to Bangladesh to do service during winter break
[<em>]research project
[</em>]student government
[<em>]global fundraiser secretary
[</em>]staff writer on student paper
[<em>]staff writer in our community paper
[</em>]communications director of a service group[/ul]
hs gpa: 3.2</p>

<p>*other: *
[ul]
[<em>]applying as a civilian in the corps of cadet
[</em>]applying to the honors program (hopefully i sustain and rise my gpa)
[<em>]in-state
[</em>]thai[/ul]</p>

<p>bump10char</p>

<p>The Corp of Cadets is not truly connected to admissions and that is probably why nobody has responded.</p>

<p>The CoC is volunteer, you don’t have to be in ROTC to be in the CoC. It doesn’t play a part in the equation for acceptance.</p>

<p>Also, you have yet to say where you are transferring from. Applying from JMU or GMU is one thing, applying from a community college is another.</p>

<p>right, i’m aware the CoC isn’t connected to admissions, I just mentioned it to let people know that I want to go for it. Sorry for the confusion. </p>

<p>Anyways, I’m applying from longwood (VA).</p>

<p>Technically, the Corps is connected to admissions. Those who check the box to apply as a cadet have their application go through a slightly different route than the other traditional students. I believe their applications are reviewed by a retired officer/Corps alumn in the admissions office. Officially, cadet applicants receive “additional” consideration. But I know several cadets whose high school stats were well-below average for people accepted to VT. </p>

<p>That said, no one should apply as a cadet just for the sake of “additional” consideration for admission. Because if you quit before the first phase of training (about 6-8 weeks) then you must withdraw from the university.</p>

<p>All that aside, I’d say you have good chances for admission based on your college record. Good luck.</p>

<p>As nick said, CoC does play a role in admissions - in some cases. It won’t get you in if you’re totally unqualified, but if you are on the cusp it will make a difference because they will factor in your extracurricular leadership experience in a way they don’t for non-Corps applicants. </p>

<p>Having said that, it’s not an easy path. If you haven’t already done an overnight with the Corps, do so. Be sure to talk to cadets about what your first year Corps experience will be like as a transfer. You would be going from a life of relative freedom as a college freshman to a program where your freedom is <em>severely</em> curtailed as a new cadet, especially in the first semester. That can be very, very difficult for those coming in as transfers. It is a great program and worth the effort, but you need to be aware of what you’re getting into and totally committed to it. It’s not something to take on lightly.</p>

<p>As for your chances, I think it depends on whether your performance last semester is a total break with the past or reflects a pattern of improvement that started late in HS and continued in college. If things started to click in HS and you show ongoing community involvement I think you have a shot. Good luck!</p>