I really messed up my first semester of junior year IB.

As the first semester just ended for me 2 days ago, grades are due tomorrow by all teachers after school ends. I started off pretty strong with a 3.9-4.0 in 3 HLs (World Lit, Bio, History) and 2 SLs (French and Calculus), yet I let school get the most of me and I might end up with a 3.29 after goofing up my finals (5 B’s and 2 A’s). I can’t make any excuses now as to how I ruined them with those last tests, but now 5 of my grades sit on the borderline of around 88-89% with most of my teachers announcing that they’re completely done with putting in the last assignments into the gradebook. Many seniors have told me that the teachers I have don’t round up those border lines no matter what, and it sort of sucks to think that 1 week can ruin my semester. As for what’s put on my high school transcript, only the semester grade is shown.

But my question is, will colleges look at this very badly, considering I had a 4.0 freshman year and somewhere around a 3.9 sophomore year? I know for sure I can get a 4.0 next semester, since the class agenda is very repetitive this year. I’m not looking to go to any Ivy Leagues, but to the most affordable college that offers me the best package academically and financially.

If anyone’s wondering what my schedule is, it’s IB Theory of Knowledge, IB World Lit I HL, IB Biology I HL, IB French I SL, Advanced Orchestra, IB Calculus SL, IB History HL. The only A’s I have at the moment are in French and Orchestra. I can possibly get my grade in Calculus rounded up to an A since I heard he’s pretty generous, but I wouldn’t blame him for not doing so.

Are you IB in the USA?

@Sybylla yes

Really, just keep trying as hard as you can, you don’t really have any choice. You can’t predict a 4.0 from a 3.29, period. IB scoring is harder because that is how it is supposed to be. Get that TOK to an A, that seems an easy grade (my kids school has no grade for TOK). I ask my kids to keep over a 3.8 in the IBD if at all possible. Like you, there won’t be tippy tops in the mix ($$) but GPA and rank might = merit$$.

What is IB Calculus?