I received a "D" in Pre-Calculus, will I still get in UC?

<p>During my Junior year, I took two math classes, AP statistics and Honors Pre-Calculus. I received A/A (2semesters) in my AP statistics and A/D+ in my Honors Pre-Calculus class. This means that I received a D+ on my 2nd semester for the pre-cal class. </p>

<p>As a Senior, I am taking Calculus BC, and currently getting an A in that class. Pretty confident I will receive an A throughout the 2 semester.</p>

<p>Since I took two math courses in my Junior year,** is it necessary to retake the Honors Pre-calculus class?** Even if the D+ drops my overall GPA, I still maintain about 3.7.</p>

<p>I was told that if I do not make up my D grade, retaking the precalculus class, I will more than likely get rejected from the popular UC’s (Davis, CAL, LA, SD ← the ones I’m planning to apply to). Of course, I asked the UC admission people, and they say it is recommended for me to take the course again, because I may need the material for mastering my Calculus BC class, but certainly not necessary. However, I get the feeling that they’re just saying that, and that the D will be at fault for my admittance.</p>

<p>Wouldn’t my current Calculus BC class override the Pre-calculus grade, equivalent to retaking the course? However, I know the first semester grades do not come out on time to make it for college applications.</p>

<p>I was also told that I can just not submit the Honors Pre-Calculus class in the UC application, both the first and second semester. That does not sound right logically. Can someone clarify on that?</p>

<p>Thank you for your time and replies in advance! (:</p>

<p>I am from MA, and know little about the UC’s, but I have a friend who graduated last year, that was accepted to UCLA, and received a D+ in Physics (Junior Year). It hurt his grade, however, he was able to take classes at a local community college, after school during the winter months. The D+ remained on his record while applying, but UCLA recognized his determination to complete the course adequately (with the help of “progress reports” from the professor), and was accepted during regular decision. Essentially what I am trying to say is that schools appreciate kids who are willing to take the extra time to better their mistakes. In your case with BC Calc kicking a**, repeating the course will only make your application stronger.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>You answered your own question with the next sentence.</p>

<p>You must submit all coursework and yes a D will be a negative to your app, particularly for the most selective campuses. Even Davis rejects 4.0’s (UC gpa) that are not ELC. Your senior grade in Calc will only be seen if your app gets pulled for Augmented Review. </p>

<p>My suggestion is to write about what you learned from the experience – hopefully, you had a good reason.</p>

<p>I know it is better if i retake the class, and if i write an essay explaining the reason. however, will i still have a “average” chance of getting into the UC’s just like any other 3.7 gpa student with same achievements as me, without the D grade?</p>

<p>Yeah, sure you will have an average chance of the 3.7’s that apply. But those 3.7’s have a less than average chance of acceptance at the top UC’s.</p>