I screwed up

I took a course at UC Berkeley over the summer, and it was CS 61A- one of the 3 pre-requisites to declare a CS Major at UCB. In hindsight, I should’ve taken an easier class, or asked more questions, prepared more rigorously, etc. but I’ll get to the point: I’m facing a C+ in the class.

I know about the 3.3 GPA cap to declare at UCB for L&S, so I know I HAVE to get an A in CS61B and CS 70, so I’m prepared to do ALL the reviewing I can + more. Besides, I definitely won’t take them over the summer, only in the regular semester IF I get into UCB.

My question is this: did I destroy my chances of getting into UCB or any other UC? I’m in-state, btw. I have gotten straight A’s in high school in fairly rigorous courses, have a 1480 SAT (gonna retake on November), and am going to do 2 Community College classes this fall and next spring.

I’ve published two mobile apps, been a musician for 10+ years (performed multiple time out of the country multiple times since 8th grade), and do professional drone photography/videography. I’m just listing these as my EC’s.

I’ve spoken to admissions officers at UCB, and they said that ‘we don’t want to penalize you for going above and beyond what’s expected of you; any grade you earn in this course as long as you don’t fail will only help your application’. However, did they sugar coat their words? Will they really not penalize me at all for getting a C/C+?

If I work hard and get a high B/A in the community college classes I’ll be taking this fall, will it prove to them that I am ready to handle college level work? I’m just freaking out here, since I was expecting a B-, at worst, not a C+! Help!

“I have gotten straight A’s in high school in fairly rigorous courses”

This is going to help a LOT.

You have learned a lesson. Some very highly ranked universities (MIT, Caltech, UC Berkeley, U of Chicago) really are a LOT more difficult than what you are seeing in high school. There is a reason that most high school students don’t end up at these schools, and that most universities are not this hard.

It sounds like UC Berkeley admissions staff that you talked to see this the same way as I do: We all make mistakes. The best of us learn lessons from our mistakes. We don’t shoot people for trying.

Do your best from now on. Take classes that you are prepared for. Don’t worry about it. I think that you are going to do well.

UCB is a reach for the best students, and out of reach for nearly everyone else. I think that you will most likely get into a good UC whether it be UCB or one of the other ones. Apply to a range of schools, and make sure that you have some good safety schools on your list.

It used to be that you could intentionally fail the class, then retake the class and the second class would wipe out the first. But they (CS dept) closed the loophole such that if you do do that, the first class will also be counted in the 3.3 eligibility GPA calculation. I think the L&S school itself will throw out the first class, someone correct me if I am wrong.

This is an interesting case, since you took it in HS. I don’t think you’re going to get any leeway on this but you can always ask CS to see if they can throw out the class. Of course, if you wind up going to another school it might not matter that much.

Talked to the EECS department (ot L&S, though). EECS said that they won’t throw out the class, and that it’ll follow me on my transcript

If you wind up with a C+, it’s going to be a monumental task to get to 3.3. You would need an A in 61B and an A- or more in 70. 61B might not be too bad to get an A but CS70 you left yourself with very little leeway. Doable but very tough, that’s 2 deviations above the norm.

I’m still wondering though if they’ll let you retake the CS61A class for CS GPA calculation purposes and forgive your first one. Especially since you took it in HS. The reason I ask is that people who take say CS61B in CC or get a 5 in AP Calc BC in HS have the choice of whether to retake the class or not at Berkeley. Your case is a very rare case.

Of course, you could always try and get in via EECS, or perhaps majoring in something else such as Data Science.