I want my school to offer IB.

So I am senior (I know, it’s wayyyyy too late for me) and my school offers AP courses, but not IB or Honors (well, pre-AP counts as Honors for my school but I don’t think it’s the same). The fact is: my district is very VERY behind on education compared to other Texas schools.

I only found out about IB from my Californian cousin, who of course took advantage of those courses. To be honest, I didn’t see the importance of IB until, well, now. Right when I’m doing my college apps. I just feel like my school district isn’t fully letting students show their full academic potential, they put a 10000x more emphasis on the STAAR (Texas standardized tests. It’s a joke really: 3 hours for 60 problems?!) than on AP or other advanced courses. I don’t even think the district board knows what IB is .-.

So my question is: is there way to at least ask about IB? Letter, email, petition (actually petition isn’t really viable since I’m the only who knows about IB .-.)? Or is this pretty much a lost cause that I have to wait for another 10 years? (Really. My school barely adopted AP about 10 years ago.) We have great AP teachers. I’m sure there’s room for IB.

It’s too late for me, but it’s not too late for future students of my school. I really do believe this will help set them apart from other college applicants in the future.

P.S: sorry if this thread came out more as rant than a reform for change XD

Be careful what you wish for – IB has pros and cons. And there is nothing wrong with a school that offers APs but not IB. You are exaggerating the benefit of IB in your mind when it comes to college admissions.

Becoming an IB school is a long and involved process for the school, essentially because an IB Diploma is a high school diploma (which one receives in addition to the diploma from the local school) and a school has to essentially be accredited. If your district is interested, I would think the school board would have to advance that agenda.if a significant number of people want it. Many communities oppose this because they don’t want to let someone else dictate their curriculum, so community buy-in is critical.

If this makes you feel any better, my school doesn’t even have AP courses. My friend and I want to take AP calculus, so my principal agreed to form a class. Unfortunately, my friend and I are the only ones that are interested, and the less people we have, the more money we have to pay ($200 - not so much, but still annoying). Why don’t you just ask your principal or guidance counselor? Also, is there an interest in it among the students? If not, don’t bother.

You might want to look into the schools that offer IB courses online. Dwight Global Online School and Pamoja are two examples. This is a good way to try out IB courses and supplement your transcript!

My school didn’t offer IB either, and in hindsight I really regret not even looking into studying at a different school or somehow taking it :frowning: Good luck with getting it into your school!

You could write or email individual members of your school board to encourage them to consider adopting an IB curriculum in the future. Perhaps your argument should be that there should be more choices available for students in your district, not that IB somehow creates a magical pathway to a good college.