I was denied for Virginia Tech's General Engineering program, accepted to Univerisity

<p>dancingdreamer, I am inclined to think it i possible to take the Southwest CC Internet EGR 120. It is on the valid transfer list and it is explicitly called out that this is the only online version that is valid according to this memo: </p>

<p>[Redirect</a> Notice](<a href=“Redirect Notice”>Redirect Notice) </p>

<p>Other students have told us on CC that they took ENGE 1024 before entering VT and it transferred without problem. I have not seen anyone say they took this specific online course in the summer but it looks possible. We are going to try and confirm with VT admissions.</p>

<p>The answer I got is that as long as the incoming student doesn’t exceed 12 credit hours prior to entry into VT, taking courses the summer prior to entering will not IMPACT the student’s status. I just applied for admission to the school and registered for the class. Their system told me I got slot 9 of 10 slots for the course.</p>

<p>Kaymom writes “Does emailing the admissions and being in touch help in any way? As in would they be able to steer her towards courses and making it happen?”</p>

<p>VT has a center for enhancing engineering diversity CEED. It may be helpful to contact them for specific suggestions towards courses but I would talk with Admissions regardless. During the Engineering Open House admissions has a presentation at 10:10 “VT Engineering - Are you Ready? We can Help” that might be useful. At least you might be able to introduce yourself and get a contact number for further questions.</p>

<p>There’s also a Womens Preview Weekend</p>

<p>"The purpose of Preview Weekend is to give women who have been or may be accepted to the College of Engineering an opportunity to view the campus and make an informed decision about attending college at Virginia Tech. During Preview Weekend, prospective students have an opportunity to meet current students and faculty, stay overnight in a residence hall, and get a first-hand look at Virginia Tech and the College of Engineering.</p>

<p>Preview Weekend dates: April 14 - 15 , 2012"</p>

<p>Thanks ChrisTKD. </p>

<p>We are driving down Sunday for the Monday open house. I sincerely hope this trip helps in more ways than one. </p>

<p>Thanks so much. <em>fingers crossed</em></p>

<p>Hi everyone. My son is in a similar situation and is an incoming freshman for Fall 2012 in University Studies with the hopes of transferring into the College of Engineering. </p>

<p>I was wondering if anyone has looked into the ENGE 1024 equivalent course at Northern Virginia Community College. According to the transfer note, EGR 120 is the corresponding course, but it looks like it has corequisites for MTH 173 and ENG 111. </p>

<p>In order to make up the lost time and stay on track to graduate in 4 years, does it make more sense to try and take ENGE 1024 this summer at NVCC or try to take ENGE 1124 next summer at VT? </p>

<p>Also curious if Kaymom learned anything at the previously mentioned open house.
Thanks!</p>

<p>Here are the stats for the 2011 incoming class. You can look up Engineering specifically and compare your stats to see how you fit in. Despite the comment above, the women freshmen have higher mean GPAs than the men.</p>

<p>[Institutional</a> Research - Students: Admissions](<a href=“http://www.ir.vt.edu/VT_Stats/admissions_contents.htm]Institutional”>http://www.ir.vt.edu/VT_Stats/admissions_contents.htm)</p>

<p>Sorry to bring this back up again, but I recently signed up for the Online Engineering 120 Course at Southwest Virginia Community College (the equivalent of Engineering 1024), but by doing so, would I still be able to transfer into General Engineering by the Spring Semester if I do this course during the Fall and finish it in December?</p>

<p>Calvin1100, how did things turn out? Did the fall thing work?</p>

<p>@proudmom1313,</p>

<p>The EXACT same situation occurred for my son. He got into UMD, but not for engineering while he did get into Virginia Tech for engineering. He also got into UMBC for engineering and Rose-Hulman (with some merit). It seems strange to me about Maryland . . .but I think it is making my son’s choice easier in some regards. He has not decided yet, but VTech is in the top two . . .</p>

<p>My son is a Meyerhoff Chemical Engineer major at UMBC…he loves it. If you have any questions let me know. He loves UMBC.</p>

<p>If you are from northern Virginia, the School of Engineering won’t even consider you unless you took AP Physics in high school.</p>

<p>I’m not sure why you resurrected this thread for your very first post. Your statement however is incorrect. My son took Honors Physics rather than AP Physics and was accepted into the College of Engineering and Honors. We are from NoVA.</p>

<p>123456 - Unless you are the latest hire in VT admissions then I suggest you not make such broad and authoritative statements. If you are from VT admissions I would recommend choosing a more professional screen name and making a proper introduction of your affiliation with the university.</p>

<p>Moving on… I agree with Chris is not a litmus test and can vary from school to school. Ask your GC what courses successful applicants to the eschool have. Also if there are specific courses needed to get the ‘most rigorous’ curriculum box checked on the GC report. This will be different at each school. Maybe number of advanced courses or specific ones. We are also from the dreaded 703. ;)</p>

<p>marylandmom and proudmom-same situation here-we are in state in MD. DS had to appeal a rejection by UMD CP and then was admitted to L & S, not to Eng. Admitted to VT Eng and Fordham Eng. Phys. Admitted to U of D Eng. Offered significant scholarship at NC State. No rhyme or reason obvious. Unfortunately for our budget, VT is best fit for him. He looks forward to heading there soon.</p>

<p>Is fredericksburg considered northern or central VA?</p>

<p>From Wikipedia:</p>

<p>" ‘Northern Virginia’ is more of a functional name than a rigidly defined area. It has no authoritative definition (like the legal boundaries of states, counties, or cities). The most common definition of Northern Virginia includes those counties and independent cities on the Virginia side of the Washington-Baltimore-Northern Virginia Combined Statistical Area. In 2010 this included the counties of Arlington, Clarke, Culpeper, Fairfax, Fauquier, King George, Loudoun, Prince William, Spotsylvania, Stafford, and Warren, and the independent cities of Alexandria, Falls Church, Fairfax, Fredericksburg, Manassas, and Manassas Park."</p>

<p>Source: <a href=“Northern Virginia - Wikipedia”>Northern Virginia - Wikipedia;

@Jpatel52 It wasn’t difficult for me, and my credentials aren’t great at all, at least not academically. Like my school doesn’t offer GPA (I’m from India) and I do IB (Predicteds 38) and ummm ACT (8), subject test - 660 math 2, 650 physics. I applied for 3 patents and have conducted lots of research - but that’s probably the only DECENT thing.
Did you apply anywhere else ?

http://www.enge.vt.edu/_files/undergraduate/pdf_COM_Requirements_Policies.pdf

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/virginia-tech/1586437-university-studies-to-engineering-upcoming-change-in-requirement.html