I was recently diagnosed with ADHD at the end of Junior Year, can my SAT scores make up for my GPA with an explanation?

Hello. I am a Junior, and just recently have I been diagnosed with ADHD-C. High school wasn’t particularly difficult for me, but it was frustrating for sure. I now realize that I could have been working to a somewhat higher standard if I had had proper accommodations and support. My organization skills and my home-work slacking put a dent in my scores for sure, in addition with my first two years of remote learning being, frankly, a pain in the rear. My SAT score is a 1490, but my GPA is a weighted 3.7/unweighted 3.3, and I would like to go into civil engineering. Do you think that, should I disclose my diagnosis on my Commonapp, I would have a shot as some higher-end colleges (T90)? I took 2 AP’s, got a 5 in APHUG and and still waiting on my AB CALC score (I assume a 3-4). My rigor was heavy until this year, because I could not go any farther up the academic ladder without loading my courses with AP. I know my limits, lol. My extracurriculars are mediocre, but I would probably have strong positives coming from my letters of recommendation.

1 Like

What state do you live in? Some state flagships would be very doable with those stats. If your state is one with a flagship with low acceptance rates, there are probably other public colleges in the state that are easier to get into. For engineering, public colleges often make the most sense if your stats aren’t exceptional.

I live in Illinois, so UIUC I believe.

I’m not that familiar with Illinois. UIUC would be a reach with that gpa, I think but I’m sure there are other colleges in Illinois that have engineering that you would be accepted at. Others will have to chime in.

Paging @Knowsstuff who is an Illinois resident and may be able to provide guidance on in state options for OP.

Illinois State University is launching a new College of Engineering. I don’t totally know what time timing is, but it would be worth looking into. Even if they haven’t filled all of their faculty positions yet, etc., the timing might work out if you plan to load up on general studies courses first before getting into your advanced work in engineering. I used to teach at ISU, and it’s a terrific school with a beautiful campus. UIC is another in-state option that would be very doable with your stats (they also have a college of engineering).

1 Like

My son (23) was in a very similar position. He’s graduating this month and will be studying mechanical engineering at Oregon State in the fall. Like you he had a high SAT (1500) but much lower GPA ( 3.0) in large part due to a late ADHD diagnosis.
Our approach was to cast a very wide net with a lot of safety options. Many of these schools had programs that he was interested in, but were in locations that he wasn’t thrilled about. We knew there would need to be compromise. He received a good number of rejections, but far more acceptances than we expected. He did include an explanation of his late diagnosis and the journey to find the right drug/ dosage in the “ anything else” section of the common app. From the other side, my perspective is that you don’t need to stress nearly as much as we did. There is a school out there for you ( probably many), be open to options that might be remote, apply to at least one guaranteed admissions school and try not to stress too much over the things you can’t change. Good luck

1 Like

So have your counselor explain your situation. You can use it in a one liner but never use it as an excuse.

UIUC uses unweighted scores but you are local. Not taking any APs senior year can hurt you also but if you can’t handle that, then you know yourself but engineering is no joke and very hard.

I would apply but lots of kids with higher profiles are getting rejected.

Apply instate to UIC. They have a great program. Also Illinois Tech. The kids get jobs from all the known companies and being in Chicago is a huge plus since world renowned civil company’s are right down town and hire from both of these schools.

SIU is worth a look and also Iowa State.

Do you go to one of the Chicago selective enrollment schools by chance?

1 Like

I am taking two AP’s senior year, since my diagnosis makes me feel more confident in my abilities. I am sure that the medication will help me perform far better, so my senior year is a good bound more rigorous. I do not go to a Chicago school; I am in one of the far western suburbs of Chicagoland, around Crystal Lake.

And important…if you will need accommodations in college…make sure you find out about the disability offices where you choose to apply…what you need for documentation, and what services they offer.

And this year…really work on your self advocacy skills…because in college you will need those even with an accommodation plan at the college.

1 Like

UIC’s engineering program is growing pretty quickly, and they are completing new Engineering facilities. However, their mid 50% GPA for engineering admissions is 3.5-3.9 (unweighted), and for SAT is 1240-1550.

So UIC engineering would be a reach.

On the other hand, NIU and SIUC are both very doable. The OP would be an auto-admit with a GPA of over 3.0, and may be able to be accepted directly to engineering for either.

2 Likes

Got it. What math and science are you taking senior year?

1 Like

AP Statistics and Dual Credit Plant Sciences/AP Psychology. I’m also taking a class in one of my school’s “Academies”- specifically, the engineering Academy.

IF ADHD is affecting you in high school, I think it takes time to find the right med, the right timing and the effect on your organization and performance. Also (I have two kids who registerd with the Office of Disabilities) accommodations don’t always make things a breeze. For instance, you can use extra time on a certain project, only to find projects have backed up. It can be helpful if schools allow incompletes.

Hoping colleges see improvement in this semester and the fall. That will help. Find a good fit! State U’s and colleges are a great option. Congrats on your scores btw.

I agree with others that there are many schools out there. I would like to know your reasons for choosing engineering, as an aside.

I really, really like skyscrapers. I hail from a small town in Mississippi, so when I moved here and saw skyscrapers I guess that made an impression on me. Now, I wanted to go into architecture, but I don’t have the artistic ability. Civil Engineering scratches that same itch for me. Plus, I’m pretty good at math, so that helps.

1 Like

Any sort of buildings, really, but skyscrapers are sort of my acute focus in the subject.

Stats isn’t going to do it. Where are you with precalc or Calc?

Also as suggested NIU. I recently met someone in Detroit area that only hires from there. Not the bigger schools in Michigan. He told me it was because NIU consistently graduates great engineers.

2 Likes

I’m finishing up Calculus AB with a B. I had to work pretty hard on it. My math teacher and I work very well together, so that helped a lot, too.

Is there another Calc class in sequence or is that it for your school.

Also next year get lots of help. Your goal is try to Ace out. Not a big deal if you don’t but your getting ready for college and want to show them your more then ready. I have seen similar kids get into reaches this way. I wouldn’t count on it but it does happen

Good thing to know if you want to be an engineer then be one. Don’t over think the school. You have some great suggestions to start to look at.

There is Calculus BC. I might take that, actually.

Yeah, these reccomendations are great! Next year, I’m sure I can do a lot better than I am now.

1 Like