IB and Colleges

<p>My son will be graduating next year with an IB diploma and I have heard that most colleges will not give credit or even recognize the IB as they recognize the AP program. I'm trying to find colleges online that do recognize the IB program and will credit my son for all his hard work in high school. Does anyone know which schools offer most for an incoming IB student? I know that all colleges are different but I'd like to know how most if any, credit the IB and which colleges offer the most credits for it as well. We're in New York so if you know of any NY universities most accepting of the IB, we'd love to hear from you. Thank you</p>

<p>I wouldn’t really know specific to the NY area, but whatever colleges that your son is looking into will have a section over AP/IB credit usually on its website. It’s generally though, HL tests are the only scores accepted for college credit and they have to be above a certain score, 5 for most and 6-7 for more prestigious schools. You can get about 20+ hours though usually or at least in my state. Hope I helped a little.</p>

<p>Thank you for your reply but when you say that he can get 20+ hours, what exactly does that mean? Also, my son getting the IB diploma, he wouldn’t get credit for that? Would it be strictly for the HL courses and the test scores? This is something I copied and attached from a certain school and it’s qualification for credits…(Students in the Diploma Program may receive up to 32 credits. To receive the full 32 credits, the following conditions must be met. The IB Diploma must be completed with a score of 30 or more points.) My question to you is, where and how would those 30 points be coming from? Sorry, I’m just confused and thanks again for the reply</p>

<p>Umm I’m not completely sure, but the 30 points are the total of your tests and EE and CAS put together I think. And the 20+ hours are the hours counted torwards the college and what they will accept. The higher the score, the more likely a college will accept the credit, kinda like AP. Some schools will accept SL test scores and give credit for the class, but it’s usually HL because it’s the “Most comparable” to AP, but AP doesn’t even match HL classes or so I think. What grade is your son in? If he is a freshman/sophomore, then they won’t REALLY tell you how difficult IB will become. It all was a surprise at the running start IB is. I think it’s a ploy to make students go into it! :smiley: if he is in one of those grades, then he has sometime and can ask around and talk to his counselers or the graduating IB students(this years seniors) about how IB is recognized locally and the credit. The teachers who teach the IB classes can tell you too, but they will over do it making IB seem like your a Junior on college when you really are more Sophomore in amount of credits. <em>kinda went off topic. Sorry</em></p>

<p>The IB has been a huge disappointment for me in terms of giving me credit for university. I’m at NYU right now and I have absolutely no credit for my two years of hard, grueling work in the IB. I’ve actually haven’t heard of any schools accepting lower than a 6 or 7 in an IBHL course, which I think is absolutely unfair (in my opinion, IB, especially an IBHL course, is a lot more rigorous than AP yet American universities expect you to get a 6 or 7 in ONLY an HL course to get credit). If you have a 6 or 7 in SL, it doesn’t matter, they don’t care. I know a girl who can graduate in 3 years at Barnard due to her IB scores, which is great, but it’s basically the same as getting AP credit. American universities REALLY <em>REALLY</em> underrate IB. If you want your son to be recognised for his work in IB as much as possible, I suggest you let him apply to Canadian or European schools. This is just my opinion. </p>

<p>To answer your questions - Yes, credit only comes strictly from HL courses.
The highest amount of points you can get in the IB programme is 45. A student typically takes 3 HL classes and 3 SL classes. In each class, the highest score you can receive is 7. 6 x 7 = 42 points. You can get 3 extra points if you get specific grades on your TOK Essay and EE (I think if you get like As for both you get the 3 extra points, if you get an A for one and a B for the other, it’s 2 extra points… something like that). 30 points is not too hard to achieve!</p>

<p>Our D received credit for her HL classes, and for her overall point score on the diploma. She received the maximum credit possible at her University for her IB and AP classes. (At her high school, AP classes are the first year of the IB HL sequence). </p>

<p>Keep in mind there is a difference between “getting credit for IB” in terms of course credit at the Univ and in terms of admissions. I have been tracking admissions info at our high school for about 5 years—the colleges do recognize the difficulty of IB in admissions.</p>

<p>Hi from another IB parent,</p>

<p>The IB website has information about colleges that accept IB for university credit.</p>

<p>[Country</a> information](<a href=“http://www.ibo.org/country/US/index.cfm]Country”>http://www.ibo.org/country/US/index.cfm)</p>

<p>Scroll down to the drop-down list where it says “Universities and institutions that recognize the IB diploma.”</p>

<p>There are also “Recognition policy summary charts” for each state at:</p>

<p>[Recognition</a> Policy Summaries](<a href=“http://www.ibo.org/diploma/recognition/recognitionpolicy/index.cfm]Recognition”>http://www.ibo.org/diploma/recognition/recognitionpolicy/index.cfm)</p>

<p>(Here’s a direct link to NY universities: <a href=“http://www.ibo.org/diploma/recognition/recognitionpolicy/documents/2011-NewYorkGrid_000.pdf[/url]”>500)</p>

<p>These lists may help you find a few schools to search first. As Kaeroze said, some schools list IB credit in a section of their website called “AP credit.” Read over the website carefully, or email school admissions offices if you have questions.</p>

<p>My DD is doing the full IB program, and although she is not looking at attending our state universities here in Oregon, I do know that Oregon State starts those with an IB diploma as a sophomore. A friend’s daughter who is at U of O, came with an IB diploma and started with 77 credits. One of the liberal arts colleges we toured this summer gave 1.5 semesters credit for an IB diploma. As you can see, there is a wide range of what schools give you. I would recommend that you need to check out other options to see what type of credit your child can get with the IB diploma. </p>

<p>And from what I see, regardless of what type of credit a student will get for their IB diploma, most likely they will be extremely well-prepared for college having completed the program.</p>

<p>I agree with the other posters about really checking each college individually. </p>

<p>For my own school (Berkeley), I got out of two semesters of English because of my 5 on IB HL, so I never have to take another English course ever again (unless I want to!)</p>

<p>For more credit, I think Berkeley offers 20 units of credit for the Diploma if you score above 30. For individual tests, they have to be HL and you have to get at least a 5.</p>

<p>Most schools recognize the IB. I also recommend taking CLEP exams for anything he didn’t score high enough (or did SL) in for IB.</p>

<p>In my experience looking at colleges, many give credit for HL classes only for a score of 6 or 7, which is indeed not much recognition of the work IB kids put into it. Don’t worry though, IB kids will be rewarded for their hard work when they are more prepared for the workload and will have a better working knowledge of some subjects they weren’t able to get credit for.</p>

<p>Hello BigBulldog,</p>

<p>Each school in New York has a certain criterion for evaluating the performance of IB students. Here’s a website that can hopefully help in answering your question: <a href=“https://www.ibo.org/diploma/recognition/recognitionpolicy/documents/2011-NewYorkGrid-new.pdf[/url]”>500; However, those are just statistics. I recommend talking decisively to individual colleges that your son is targeting.</p>

<p>Typically all schools recognize IB in some way. Most schools, like in my state of VA, only give credit for HL scores. However, some schools apply more credit to those who are able to obtain the full diploma.</p>

<p>As for schools that love IB, Florida schools LOVE IT. University of Florida and Florida State in particular love IB. The state of Florida admits the most IB students because a lot of Florida high schools are IB. UF has one of the highest admittances of IB students in the country.</p>

<p>IB is more helpful for getting into college and being successful in college.</p>

<p>I have a senior and a freshman at Georgia Tech. My senior got 21 credits allowed from her IB test scores while my freshman got 29. My freshman was also invited to test out of chem II. (D1 was not asked to test though she had the similar chem scores.) D2 was successful testing out and so ended up beginning her first semester with 33 credits. Both girls had similar test scores, but the school began accepting 6 and 7’s in SL classes for credits after D1, so D2 got more credits. So in a nutshell, this school’s appreciation/recognition of IB’s worth has been increasing in the past few years.</p>

<p>Does anyone know if Georgia Tech accepts IB Math Studies for course credit? I know some colleges do not recognize it. Also, how about AP Human Geography?</p>