IB and SAT Subject Tests??

<p>Well, I'm starting the IB this year and since I want to be an engineer, I opted for HL Math, Chem, Physics and SL English, Econ/History/Environment (undecided) and Spanish ab initio. I took the ACT already and next year am going to try the SAT IIs - Math, Physics/Chemistry and English (for AP Credit at GTech, where I hope to go). My question is how well will HL Math and Phy/Chem prepare me for the Subject Tests? And which of HL Physics and HL Chem will prepare me better for their respective tests? I love both and have always gotten straight A+ grades in math and science. English is no problem. I already took it and got a score of 780.</p>

<p>Soo, either from your experience or others', please do tell me whether HL Math enables you to get a good score on the Math Level 2. And what about HL Physics/Chem? Are they enough?</p>

<p>Thanks to everyone who replies!!! :D</p>

<p>They have absolutely nothing to do with each other. Chemistry and Physics helped some, but I still re-took them using study books in order to get better (perfect) scores. Just going to class won’t be top grades, unless you retain information like a sponge. HL Math is a little too… analysis-like. Of course it’ll help, but I still got a study book.</p>

<p>With the subject tests, you need to not just do well (like taking any class will help), you need to do REALLY well. No one takes the chemistry test unless they are trying to show off how good they are, so the grades tend to be skewed high. Don’t just rely on a class because it’s labelled HL.</p>

<p>I’m assuming the following: you’re a rising junior, and you’ve already taken precalculus. The Math Level 2 SAT only goes through precalc, so anything beyond that is kinda superfluous, and you should take the exam ASAP so everything is fresher in your mind. </p>

<p>As for the science classes, my suggestion is to pay attention in class and get some study books. Figure out the discrepancies between content covered by your IB classes and content tested by the SAT II’s and focus your energies there.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Math HL covers the equivalent of pre-calc, AP Calc BC, and AP Stat. The Math 2 exam is exclusively pre-calc.</p>

<p>Like others have said, Math HL covers more and higher-level material than the SAT II exam. That said, though the material is easier you might want to study a bit to refresh your memory on the content.</p>

<p>As for your other question, I didn’t take physics but HL chemistry I felt was more than adequate to prepare me for the SAT II exam. Much of the curriculum (particularly stoichiometry and periodic table trends) seems to overlap. That said, your preparedness will depend on your particular teacher. Try looking at the SAT II exam book offered by College Board. It has a sample test for each subject (which might be helpful in choosing which test to take).</p>