IB and Weighted GPA

<p>Hello guys. Just had a question to ask. As I have been looking through the forums, it seems like weighted GPA's are all over the place in terms of how different HS's calculate it. The idea that a IB/AP class could be out of 6.0 (w.GPA) seems so odd to me. Anyway I was wondering if universities (top'ish ones) just look at the weighted GPA on the transcript or recalculate it (I know UCs do but how about others). At my brothers school in terms of weighting, they get a 0.5 extra for IB HL courses (so low weighting compared to what I have seen on here) and no weighting to IB SL courses. So someone in a similar position (from a similar school) could be at a disadvantage compared to someone who goes to a school that adds a substantial bonus. Any opinions on this?</p>

<p>Thank you!</p>

<p>Every school has a different method of weighting, so it would be ridiculous for colleges to compare these weighted GPAs. Universities usually look at the unweighted GPA and the rigor of the courses, and some have their own weighting formula that they can apply equally to all applicants. Weighting plays the biggest role in terms of class rank.</p>

<p>My university lists the middle 50% of applicant GPAs as 3.6-4.2. My school didn’t weight. I have no idea what the university’s weighting formula is. I have no idea where I fall in their spectrum. But there’s nothing you can do to affect it, so I wouldn’t worry about it too much.</p>

<p>The colleges that my son has applied to so far ask the guidance counselor for weighting information on the high school profile form. I’ve heard that they have their own formulas so that they can compare apples to apples. His school weights IB courses with an extra point, but only if you take the IB exams. If you don’t take the test, you get the usual 4.0 scale.</p>