IB Biology HL or AP Biology?

<p>Hi everyone, I will be a junior next year and have been debating whether to take IB Biology HL or AP Biology. I am planning on majoring in biology in college and want to go to medical school. Which one would better prepare me for that? I am leaning towards IB because it is three semesters rather than two, but does that really make much of a difference?</p>

<p>I say IB Biology HL will prepare you better for college. It goes in-depth on the subject, plus, IB HL courses are all college-level courses. so, it’s slightly more college-level than Ap bio. </p>

Try to find one college which uses the IB Biology textbook, which is its own book blessed by the IBO. You will find plenty of colleges who use Campbell and Reece Bio book for their Bio 101 courses, which is often the textbook for AP Bio. Our school runs both AP and IB and our science dept head tells people point blank do not think you will be ready for the AP exam if you take IB Bio which has a much greater focus on human physiology and ecology than AP Bio - which has a much higher focus on molecular biology and processes. IB Biology requires fewer labs, and when they do labs the focus is often on the “design” of the labs rather than the labs results themselves. Totally different approach. Also if one is going to take the SATII Bio test, keep in mind AP and the SAT subject tests are the SAME COMPANY…the College Board. So you will get a closer match on curriculum.

Only HL classes (the second year in the series) are considered college level classes. There are no major colleges I have found which will entertain providing credit for SL classes. AP classes also provide college credit. Also depends how much time you have in your schedule because to get to Bio HL you have to take the SL class first if you want to be eligible to take the HL exam

If you are a diploma candidate then it is fairly obvious, the Bio HL would be one of your sciences. If not, it is your choice, HL in 3 semesters is interesting though. How does that work?