IB Hl Maths or SL Maths?

<p>Next year i have the possibility of doing the IB diploma. If i plan to major in accounting/finance do you recommend i take HL Maths or SL Maths? And yes i understand you dont get credit for sl courses but that is not a problem for me.</p>

<p>Will doing SL maths look bad to competitive business schools such as georgetown, mcintire (uva), nyu (stern), wharton (upenn) or university of michigan?</p>

<p>These are my subject choices: </p>

<p>HL Chemistry (I feel i'd do better in chemistry than maths although i achieved an A* in IGCSE - british curriculum)
HL Business & Management
HL Economics
SL English Language & Literature
SL Arabic B
SL Maths </p>

<p>So do you think i should take SL or HL Maths next year?</p>

<p>I have a child who is a senior who is an IB Diploma Candidate. You should look at the content of the SL and HL Math classes and see which one you are most comfortable with.
Talk to your current math teacher who knows your strengths and weaknesses and get input. Also speak with the faculty currently teaching those classes. </p>

<p>In our school very few (hardly six students) are in HL Math. It is a very fast paced class and in fact some have switched to SL Math. I think in the end you want to have a strong foundation in math so you should pick the class you will do well in and be able to handle.
In our school majority of the students take SL math and some of whom are nonSTEM majors are taking Math studies. I know for engineering majors HL math is a plus.</p>

<p>Also I believe you might have a limit on the number of HL classes you are allowed to take so you have to pick and choose which ones you will take. </p>

<p>It is important to do well in your classes. When your transcript is sent to colleges it will say that you are an IB Diploma candidate which means you are taking the most rigorous program offered at your school.</p>

<p>At UVA you apply for admission to the business school end of sophomore year. Admission is based on your college g.p.a and your application to the business school.</p>

<p>If you feel that you’d do better at Chemistry than Math, then do SL Math. The first year is Precalculus and the second year is supposedly equal to AP Calculus AB.</p>

<p>Thanks for the advice. I’ll talk to the IB coordinator of the school for more insight.</p>