IB Math HL for AP Calc BC?

<p>I currently am in Math HL Y2 (Discrete Math Option), and with exam sign ups looming over, I was thinking, how much different is AP Calculus BC when compared to its HL counterpart. Can I self-study the Calc BC information that is not in the HL Curriculum without too much strenuous effort?</p>

<p>Math HL is more broad, calc is just calc.</p>

<p>I recommend you show your teacher the AP Calculus BC syllabus and ask him/her whether the calculus component of higher level maths covers what is on the AP syllabus. </p>

<p>But why do you want to take the BC test? Is it to get credit? If it is, well higher level maths and Cal BC will get you the same credit at colleges that award credits for those classes, so there is absolutely no point in taking the BC test. Focus on getting a 6 or 7 in higher level maths so you can get the credit. </p>

<p>The Calc BC teacher is also the IB teacher. He said there isn’t too much extra to learn. I also feel like the Calc BC exam is a bit easier to get a 5 in, whereas it’s extremely difficult to get a 7 in IB. Anyhows, I’ll study my a$$ off for both if I do decide to take the Calc exam as well.</p>

<p>@TheDesiBoy If it’s easier to get a 4 or 5 (qualifies for credit at most schools) in BC then take the exam as HL Maths is v. unpredictable as the final exam is what screws people up and getting that 6 or 7 is no walk in the park! </p>

<p>BC calc is taught in the HL math class at kids school. This is very painful for the BC calc kids, as they use the same grading. Anyway, seems safe to say that the material is covered. Taking both seems pretty prudent? Kids here double up on subjects a lot. It isn’t about credit per se but maybe rather the old school idea of IB being somewhat exotic. </p>

You do fine @TheDesiBoi‌

@hk9928 You have any experience in doing this? If so, any tips/books that I can use would be extremely helpful (Thanks in advance)

I was an IB student throughout high school (graduated c/o 2014) and I would not recommend HL math. I know several of my classmates that didn’t recieve their IB diploma simply because of their score in that class. You have a better chance with the AP exam.

@TheDesiBoi‌ if you ask your math teacher he probably has had students who have done this before. My math teacher is a lot like him and he’s had ib students take the calc bc exam and get a five.

@hk9928 Have you/Are you planning to take the AP Calc BC and the IB Math HL Exam both?