IB Math SL, AP Statistics or Pre-Calc

Okay so I’m a junior in IB Math Studies and the classes I’ve taken so far are:
Geometry (9th grade)
Alg 2 w Trig (10th grade)
and I was thinking about taking IB Math SL, AP stats or just regular precalculus and I’m not sure what to do. Does it look weird to take pre-calc as a senior? Or to just skip it overall?

You are taking the IB Math Studies SL exam to satisfy the IB degree math requirement? And will be done with that this year?

I assume you are not applying to a stem field. If so I’d focus on other things in 12th grade, yiur HLs your EE, and so on.

1 Like

Yes, I am! sorry for the late response but btw i’m not doing the IB program in full. just the classes i’m good at!

What do you plan to study in college?

Either way, it is fine to take pre-cal senior year, that way you will be ready for either Calculus or Statistics in college.

I’m thinking about majoring in both political science and international relations and work in international law

Then you’ll be taking statistics in college (and/or a general math class such as “math for citizenship”)

Political science majors may have to take a statistics and/or major-specific quantitative methods course. That may be relevant when designing and interpreting polls, surveys, and elections, for example.

How are you finding IB Math studies in terms of difficulty? As a Math SL student myself, I think it is significantly harder than math studies. Many of my friends started off by taking math sl but dropped to studies since they were getting level 4 and below. Especially considering that the IA also has higher requirements. So if you find studies hard, then stay away from math sl unless you don’t mind low grades

I’d definitely suggest taking AP stats for your particular major, unless you find calculus very interesting then I’d not go through the effort of learning it in college and that would be the only reason to take pre calc. And AP stats is the only option that has a possibility of getting you credit in your desired focus.

Are you aiming for a very top college? Do not skip math in 12th grade, then, and be sure to check if you need four years of math even for your safety college. Most state flagships require four years of mathematics to get admitted today.

AP Stats will be the easier to get an A of those three. But of all the AP classes out there to choose from, is the one that many schools will not give credit for, but will still give you an introduction to the subject,

Precalculus will be harder but more focused. So that will count for more, if you are trying to get into a top college,
they may like that you are taking the harder math class. AP Stats is very easy to pass.

The broadest class is Math SL, its a very good survey class, if you feel ready for it, try it!

I would go with IB Math SL as you will get a good review of all math
and its just a great class to understand college level math of any sort, including probability and statistics. IB Math SL reviews algebra, and covers precalculus, stats, and some basic calculus. If you study economics, calculus may be useful to understand microeconomics. Since you don’t need another math for your IB diploma,I understand you
are not earning one, this math class will expose you and you don’t need a top grade on the IB exam at the end, but
still a good challenge for you to try it. Four years of math is required by many top colleges so I would stick with four years of math in high school, and take the most challenging class you feel ready for.

All of my daughter’s IB Math Studies kids are taking AP Stat senior year, with what you want to major in it makes sense.