IB predicted grades for students at US schools: How did your school handle them?

If you attended a school in the US and were an IBD candidate, did your school provide predicted grades for applications? If yes, to US colleges, foreign colleges or both? And if yes, to just the college or also to you?

What was anyone’s experience if they did not get the predicted score?

I was talking to a friend about this the other day - her kid will be applying overseas – and we were recalling a mutual friend whose acceptance was rescinded for failure to meet the predicted score. This was almost 10 years ago, and I was curious as to if/how this may have evolved. It has been more than 5 years (and one pandemic) since my kid went through this.

There’s likely more to the story.

Using UK schools as an example, they will generally have entry requirements. E.g. 776 in HL where one of the 7’s is in math. The predicted score was the HS’s estimation that the applicant would meet the requirements. If the student didn’t, they’d get rescinded, not for failing to meet predicted, but for failing to meet entry requirements. The conditional offer, unlike those for most US acceptance letters, invariably spells out the specific steps needed to move from conditional to unconditional.

US universities almost never require predicted scores from applicants from US high schools. And, in part because few US HS students apply to overseas universities, US schools are generally bad about predicting scores. Regardless, if the predicted scores don’t meet entry requirements, it’s unlikely that even a conditional offer will be made.

UK 6th form schools, though, know the drill and have it down to a science. And based on the predicted scores the school won’t support an application to a university where the predicted falls short of entry requirements.

1 Like

Makes sense, @skieurope . Guessing that the predicted grades would have gotten her to the minimum required. The student requested a re-scoring review, btw, and it resulted in a revised score that included thebmissing point. It had a good ending but a suspenseful last act!