IB Predicted Grades

Hello CC Community!

I have my eyes set on top universities in the US, and my dream school is MIT. I would like to major in math and become an actuary.
Here are my IB subjects, along with the predicted grades that I am headed towards based on my unit tests:

HL: Math (7), Chemistry (6), Physics (6)
SL: Chinese B (6), English Lang+Lit (6), Economics (7)

I understand that the competition to get into the top universities is extremely fierce. I am really trying hard to bump my chemistry and physics to 7s, but say I fail to do so. Just looking at my IB predicted grades, do you think my application would be below average? Would it be possible to make up for the 6s in chemistry and physics by getting 800s on the subject tests?

I am very stressed out because I know I am capable of getting 7’s on chemistry and physics. I put in sufficient effort and I know all the content; this is indicated by the huge difference between my performances in multiple choice and long answer scores. However, I am prone to making silly mistakes and my exam technique is poor. Does anyone have similar experience that they could share and help me out? Thanks!

Additional Information:
9 A*s, 2As at IGCSE
800 Math level 2 subject test
Taking SAT soon; expecting 2200s; going for 2300 eventually
Taking Chemistry and Physics SAT subject tests; expecting at least high 700s

I would like feedback in terms of where I stand statistically (no EC’s/recommendations etc). Thanks!

I don’t think MIT has specific course stats for IB admissions. You can convert your IB levels into percentages and then compare your GPA to MIT’s record here: http://collegeapps.about.com/od/GPA-SAT-ACT-Graphs/ss/mit-admission-gpa-sat-act.htm Remember that statistics don’t play as great of a role at MIT as they do at state schools, so even if you knew exactly where you stood amongst other admitted students in terms of grades/scores, it won’t tell you exactly what your chances are.

Your SAT II Math score is obviously ok, and SAT IIs are probably going to be fine if you do well in multiple choice. No worries there :slight_smile:

Generally speaking, multiple choice is easier than long answer, which is also probably why it’s worth a bit less. Long answer scores indicate how well you actually understand and are able to apply the material. Look at mark schemes of past tests to help you understand what examiners are actually looking for- you may be wasting exam time writing down unnecessary details, leaving you with no opportunity to check your work at the end.