IB Testing Problems

<p>I just found out today that my guidance counselor did not understand iB requirements. I knew it was a problem last year but she assured me that the schedule would make it work this year, senior year. I took iB music sl, that will be ignored and I will have to test in all 6 subjects to get my diploma now. Is this doable? Is there any way to get the IB office to consider this is not a student problem but a school counseling problem? Thanks!</p>

<p>Can you explain your question better? What IB Classes have you taken?</p>

<p>You have to test in 6 subjects to earn the diploma. This is a lot of work, but doable. Did you take a test for Music SL last year?</p>

<p>I took sl music last year, this year I was supposed to do hl in psych, math and English, sl in Spanish and environmental systems. There was a scheduling conflict so counselor told me environmental systems counted on 2 areas, so I should switch to hl music and didn’t need psych since environmental science counts in 2 areas. However since I dropped psych I only have 5 exams and now will have to take psych sl and take it a year after taking the class.</p>

<p>Did you take psychology last year? Was it HL or SL? Environmental science is science. It is not a social science. You need 3 HLs and 4 SL. Stay in HL music if you can. Continue in LS psychology. You need to order one of the books that explains the IB program and use it as a guidebook. Unless your school is applying different standards, I think you are ok with the IB folks. There are different requirements for HL and SL each year. For example the IA s are different. I don’t understand how you can easily switch in your second year.<br>
However, you always have to take 6 exams regardless of HL or SL. There is no way to avoid that.</p>

<p>I believe this is the guidance’s fault. IB Environmentals can count as a science requirement or a social requirement for IB, not BOTH! For them to recommend you take a class that does not cover one of your 6 mandated subject areas is their fault, not yours…</p>

<p>Unfortunately, if pursuing an IB diploma, you need to find out the testing and course rules yourself, since there are complicated requirements and school admin’s are prone to providing misinformation. A good place to start is [Diploma</a> Programme at a glance](<a href=“http://www.ibo.org/diploma/]Diploma”>Diploma Programme (DP) - International Baccalaureate®)</p>