IB vs. AP for American student interested in studying in Britain

My younger son is a sophomore at a high school offering both the IB Diploma and AP classes and is very STEM minded and will probably major in something engineering/computer science related. He also wants to study in Great Britain which is why IB appeals to him. If he were to take AP classes, he could take all the AP math/science classes he desires whereas if he took IB courses he would be required to take HL American History and English which leaves room for only one more HL. I know the British universities require the subjects you take courses related to your field of study before you apply and this wouldn’t happen with IB since he would only be able to take one HL math/science course. The teachers are definitely better in IB but the workload is much more as well.

He would take
AP english language
AP calculus bc
AP Physics C
AP Us history
AP chemistry
AP computer science

or in IB

IB English HL
IB Math HL
IB Chemistry SL- He would probably want this HL
IB American HIstory HL
IB Spanish ab initio
IB Economics SL - pretty much the only other 6th subject course they offer

For British universities, he I’ll need a minimum of two science HL 's if he intends to study a 'stem course '. Therefore, if British universities are really if interest, he should take the AP classes you listed overall junior/senior year.
It doesn’t block applying to us and Canadian universities so keeps open the mist opportunities.

My daughter is an IBDP candiate and was accepted unconditionally to two UK universities and has conditional acceptances to two more pending her IB scores. Her major is Chem and her HL’s are Chem, English, History, SL’s are Econ, Math, Spanish

The more AP or IB scores he has at end of junior year, the more likely to get an unconditional.

Would it make sense to do a combination of AP and IB courses such as

IB english, IB math, IB chem, IB history, IB spanish and AP physics c

And then just do economics sl senior year since it is just a one year class?

@VickiSoCal: Most STEM courses’ entry standards will require the subject at HL + HL Math. Some may accept SL Math but would often ask for a BC score. I’m very glad for your child (congratulations) but I think that for an American student trying to cover his/her bases, it’d be wiser to ensure HL Chem and AP calc BC for instance. If the IB program gives some flexibility, then it’s fine. But applying in STEM with 2/3 non STEM HL’s is very risky in my opinion.

Frankly, unless the US IB school has stellar IBD results, it is easier for US students to do this with APs, as a science kid will need 2 sciences and math at HL with great marks, so make sure your IBD school is getting high IBD scores (like high 30s plus for great UK schools). And don’t assume all UK schools will mix and match AP and IB HLs (eg BC calc for an SL math student), Make sure this is doable if this is in your plan. As above get as many APs that are applicable to his major in before senior year even when an IBD student. Frankly IB as taught in the USA disadvantages US students aimed at stem in the due to HLs in english and history. AP is, IMO the easier route. IB. no question, is the more rigorous and better preparation for college, but just not necessarily the best way IN to a UK school.

IB requirements for Comp Sci don’t seem too bad from a handful of webpages:

Edinburgh:

32 points overall and award of IB Diploma with 655 at HL to include Mathematics at Grade 6.

At Durham:

37 points overall can’t find any specific course requirements

Warwick:

38 points with 6,6,6 in three Higher Level subjects including Mathematics.

KCL:

35 points overall with three Higher Level subjects at 665 at least one of Mathematics, Computer Science, ICT, Computing, Electronics, Physics, Statistics or Software Systems Development.

Yeah, but Vs AP reqs? And a 6 at math HL is LOL for many.

Edinburgh: three AP Tests at grade 4 to include required subjects. Please note that AP Calculus (AB or BC) at 4.

SO much easier than IB, many kids would have these by junior year or earlier.

I agree that calculus AB at 4 Is way easier than HL math at 6.

http://www.ibo.org/contentassets/bc850970f4e54b87828f83c7976a4db6/dp-statistical-bulletin-may-2016-en.pdf

This is very user unfriendly, but If the global average for the IBD is 30, no average IBD kids get into most good UK schools.

In addition, many us high schools do not offer many stem HL 's.
Generally speaking, it’s much easier to get a 4 on AP (in terms of mastery and level it’s closer to a 5 IB in my opinion).

Our school offers Math HL, CS HL, Bio HL, Chem HL and Physics HL

But apparently OP’s school only offers Math HL and Chemistry SL…

Actually, they do but I don’t think 4 HLs is advisable and I think higher level math is more important than chemistry. History and English have to be HL otherwise HL chemistry would have been the best choice.

Yes, for a future STEM student HL Math + HL Chem would be best, especially a future chemistry major.
IB is a fantastic program but for some goals it doesn’t work very well.
Is there a way the PTA can request that History and English not be mandatory HL’s?

It isn't about the PTA or the IB people, it seems that it is due to graduation reqs in many states mandating jr and sr SS (history) and english (lang and lit) so the work is the same even if you sat SL tests, you would need to do the years, at least you get 4 APs out of it, but it must lower the science and math marks, Here many kids take 4 HLs because they need the 2 sciences. What needs to happen is for IBD schools to be able to set their own IB friendly schedule (so no 8 periods shedule as here)  and states need to acknowledge that the IBD, period, equals or exceeds the maximum graduation requirements. 
  One would need to acknowledge that some IBDs will be pretty soft, as with APs, HLs are not all equal.