Ideas for resumé booster while seeking work as a new graduate

I got my last job through a civic organization and they were always doing programing to promote networking.

I don’t know if this is typical but we’ve seen a number of large employers in our area offering free resume review if you sign up to come to their job fair. I participated and got 30 minutes of one on one with a HR exec who had very good suggestions. I could have started a job the following week if I had wanted ; )

2 Likes

My daughter’s BF was in the Peace Corp and then worked as a paralegal.

Volunteering, internships. Working at Whole Foods or Trader Joe’s is just fine in the interim. Even if volunteering only and in an area not related to desired field, there can be benefit. Much better than sitting on a couch feeling paralyzed.

I think waiting tables could be good - and hey restaurants need help.

If one is outgoing, they’ll inevitably have conversations with customers and you never know who you meet - and how they might help you.

I think there’s a difference from a student who sought a job vs. one who didn’t but now seeks. As I moved my daughter out the other day, her graduating roommate - when I asked - what will you do - it was, I need to apply to some things - that’s a program in the Northeast that looks interesting - so this person doesn’t have the energy, drive or desire to have actually find something whereas others - have been looking and struggle.

I think work experience always beats over things - so I’d rather someone work at Gap or Kroger or wait tables or whatever then volunteering as a primary item.

Just like my son got far more intern offers his 2nd summer after struggling to land something his first summer and finding something last minute - I think experience begets more experience.

But I also think that many kids need to realize life isn’t as all as they think. For example, my daughter has a job in civil rights this summer - something she is passionate about. But when I read the job description, it’s more like data analysis in regards to state contracts - what % applying for these contracts are women and minorities. I imagine that will catapult to someone (hopefully including her) as to strategies to increase participation from these underrepresented groups.

But I know when my daughter first saw the job and civil rights - she wasn’t thinking data analysis but more like marching on the state capitol with signs in protest of the state government she doesn’t necessarily support.

So for someone with a liberal art degree that really doesn’t know what they want to do - it’s jobs like insurance claims or sales or customer service in a call center - that might be a realistic setting.

On the flip side, if they went to school for four years but did not get experience. Or if they did not spend their senior year busting tail to find a job…well it’s going to be harder now.

And every situation - depending on the student, major, past experiences, and previous job search efforts etc. probably would need to be handled differently.

Best of luck to all still seeking employment.

They could sign up to be a substitute teacher. Many states require 60 college credits and you do not have to be an education major. Given that this is not a traditional gap year type position, you can sub until you find a permanent job.

CASA Volunteer (court appointed special advocate) is something else to consider.

2 Likes

I love the hive mind here on CC. So many insightful answers!

2 Likes

Would you be willing to share which area of study the students pursued and if the difficulty finding employment is across the board or for instance, STEM or non-STEM ? Just wondering what the employment trends are currently. I know tech has been laying off workers, and other areas such as education and nursing seem to have many openings. Not sure if there has been over-saturation in certain areas that may be starting to play a role.

2 Likes

I’m not totally sure, but I think one student is an Economics major and another is doing psychology. I was looking for general advice, so this thread has been helpful.

There is training involved and most want at least a 1 year commitment (really want at least a 1 case commitment). My first case took about 18 months and the second will be about 2 years.

My organization (each CASA has a different organization) also has positions for tutors and that doesn’t have the same commitment. Last summer I did a 2 week stint at summer school. Really, I was a playground monitor and made a lot of calls to the families, but it was defined as ‘teaching.’

It wasn’t clear from the OP if these new grads were willing (hoping?) to relocate or trying to find stuff to do for short term.

Thanks for sharing!

It seems that some of these positions are good for those who are looking for gap year type jobs (1-2 years).

Did they seek jobs prior ? If so, what quantity of apps? What type roles - specific or various ?

Do they have solid resumes…ie internships etc.

I worry that things will get tougher soon. Hope I’m wrong.

Things are getting tough as we speak. Kids who accepted jobs back in November are being told that their start date (supposed to be July 2023) will not be earlier than January 2024. And these aren’t just tech companies or tech roles.

It is VERY important for kids to maintain geographic flexibility. Unless someone needs to be close to their transplant team, this year’s graduating class needs to understand that their first job could be in Dayton or Duluth, not the Seattle/Boston life they’d envisioned. And that’s ok. It’s not forever. I know kids who told their companies “LA, Austin or NYC” who are being asked to delay their start date. Meanwhile, their colleagues who will go to St, Louis or Hartford will be on the payroll per their original start date. Corporate HQ can be in Chicago but operations are all over the country (it’s a big country) and if you want a paycheck, you’ll need to flex.

1 Like

Would these new grads be willing to take on a job with a time commitment (clinical research coordinator, scribe, paralegal etc) or are they looking for something that they can stop doing whenever they want (substitute teacher)?

1 Like

We desperately need substitutes at schools. Some districts go well into June.

1 Like