Identifying as Hispanic - Common App

<p>I know this question has been asked countless times before, but I wanted to ask for my situation specifically. On the Common Application there are questions regarding demographics. First it is a yes or no question "Are you Hispanic or Latino?" Followed by, "Regardless of your answer to the prior question, please indicate how you identify yourself." I wanted to know in my situation if this is correct..</p>

<p>My grandfather on my mother's side is of Spanish descent. My mother's maiden name is of Hispanic origin. The rest of my heritage is Sicilian and Irish. So I am not of majority Hispanic descent, but is it still acceptable to check yes? For the next question I checked off that I identify as white. (which is true, I identify as Caucasian, I don't identify with any of my ethnic backgrounds.) I am not sure what percentage Hispanic I am, but it is not more than 50%. Can I still check off yes? Will that give me an advantage as a URM? Or does it not matter since I checked that I identify as white? Thanks for the help guys. I don't want to be considered a liar or receive an unfair advantage when I'm not really eligible for it.</p>

<p>Stop trying to second guess it . . . and just put what makes sense to you. And saying that you’re Hispanic, but identify as Caucasian is just fine.</p>

<p>Please read the Hispanic Definition sticky thread at the top of this forum. </p>

<p>You need to understand the definitions of ethnicity and race, they are not the same thing, that’s why the CA asks two different questions. Hispanics can be, and are of any race(s). So the fact that you identify as white racially (which most Spaniards are), does not prevent you from ALSO identifying as Hispanic ethnically.</p>

<p>College admissions uses the US Census definitions of race and ethnicity, which are based on how you IDENTIFY, not what percentage you are, what your surname is, what color your hair is, etc.</p>

<p>So, the only critical question is: Do you identify with your Hispanic background? [this identification does not have to be exclusive, you can identify with more than one ethnicity or race]</p>

<p>This is a question only you can answer.</p>

<p>PS. This definition may not apply to scholarships and programs for Hispanics, which can have qualifying threshold percentages.</p>

<p>PPSS. See the Resources sticky thread to read more about the factors that adcoms look at within the Hispanic pool of candidates. [ie. all Hispanics are not considered equal]</p>