Ideological homogeneity

<p>I've been admitted to CC and am considering visiting, but in that short an amount of time, I'm not sure I can get a good idea of what the feel of the campus is. Specifically, I want to avoid political/religious/ideological homogeneity of any sort, which is not the sort of info that I can really get from College Board or the Princeton Review, etc. I'm uncomfortable when political etc. discussion becomes an arena for a bunch of people who already agree to abuse those who oppose them because they aren't present. (I've seen this both with staunch liberals and staunch conservatives; both are equally off-putting.)
I suspect that, being what it is, CC leans at least a little to the left. I don't mind leaning as such, in either direction, so long as it isn't to such an extent that no one has to think for themselves because everyone thinks the same.
Is this going to be a problem there?</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>I wouldn’t worry about the political/religious/ideological culture of the school. I was accepted to CC, and even though I am religious and conservative, I am strongly considering attending. Of all the factors that go into making a college decision, politics should not be one of them. If you are liberal like all the other students at the school, then you will surely fit in. If you are the conservative anomaly, then you will definetely stand out (which I think is a very good thing!). </p>

<p>CC might me very liberal, but it welcomes and encourages diversity of all shapes and forms, including political. Professors encourage open and free discussion of issues and topics, and look to exmplore areas from all points of view. Simply put, don’t be afraid that yu or your peers won’t be exposed to other “sides”, because you definetely will be. </p>

<p>One more thing: you may already be aware of this, but despite being very liberal itself, Colorado College is located in Colorado Springs which, ironically, is one of the most (or possibly the most) conservative cities in the United States (Focus on the Family, Air Force Academy, etc).</p>

<p>I am guessing that you are probably looking at other liberal schools, like Williams, but you should know that this political culture is similar everywhere. College tends to be a more liberal environment, but you can still make of it what you want.</p>

<p>Perhaps an indicator of the homogeneity (or lack thereof) can be found in the array of student organizations.</p>

<p>[Colorado</a> College | Student Organizations](<a href=“http://www.coloradocollege.edu/campusactivities/studentorgs.asp]Colorado”>http://www.coloradocollege.edu/campusactivities/studentorgs.asp)</p>

<p>On the concern that nobody has to think for themselves because everybody thinks the same— if your concern is that you will loose independent thought, you can handle that be being aware of yourself. If your concern is that others are “sheep,” well nothing that I’ve experience (or heard) make me think that everyone adopts a uniform “CC mentality” (whatever that is, or isn’t).</p>

<p>CC leans left. Last year’s election also created what may be a temporary swing to the left for American college students. That leftward lean could tilt back the other way, when college age individuals find out that the new health care bill funds 16,000 IRS agents to ensure that all Americans buy gov’t mandated health insurance or pay a big fine (and guess which generation is the one choosing not to buy insurance and is going to pay the price under this new IRS-backed threat?)
My son is a libertarian/conservative type and will be entering as a freshman. His sister is a sophmore at CC who leans toward political apathy and slightly left when put on the spot. Liz Cheney and both of her daughters (including conservative talking head Liz and apparently conservative Mary) all grads of CC. I’m a lifelong Republican who graduated in the 70s). The West is more conservative in general than the East. So don’t expect a lack of political diversity.</p>

<p>If you can, visit and attend a class that is apt to be discussion and opinion based. I graduated in the 80s (having studied mostly humanities and social sciences) and found it leaned quite left and my impressions haven’t changed. The block plan provides daily opportunities to get into deep and vigorous class discussions because nobody needs to get to his/her next class because there are no next classes. In my day, classes began at about 9:00 with a break at 10:15ish and then let out by 11:30 or so. BUT if the class discussion was really on a roll, we kept going. Or if on the other hand we wrapped things up, the prof would let us out early. I’ve gone into this detail because for three and a half weeks (or whatever the length of a block is now) it’s you and about 17 other students all morning long, immersed in the same subject, sitting around a table talking about what you read. People talk and they are opinionated. The normal leanings of a LAC might feel to you more pronounced at CC because of it block plan and the kind of open ended, arguably deeper discussions and debates that it allows. So, visit, if at all possible.</p>

<p>Colorado Springs itself is a very conservative town. We’d be kidding ourselves if we didn’t admit that CC leans more towards the left. That having been said, liberal arts doesn’t necessarily mean liberal politics (after all liberal arts is short for liberal art and sciences, an educational not political reference). Just a look at the alums will give you an idea of how diverse the atmosphere can be. I highly doubt your political bearings will force you to miss out on a great experience. it’s all about how you handle yourself. As long as you don’t let it get to you, it won’t. Your college experience is what you want it to be. something aren’t controllable, but this is one thing that is.</p>