If my non-custodial parent is remarried, but I don't live with him, do I need to add his spouse to CSS profile as a step-parent?

Title. I really don’t know what to do in this situation, I am an international high school senior and I am desperate

If the college requires the non-custodial parent profile, you will most likely be required to include that parent’s spouses income and assets on the CSS Profile.

There are a few schools that make an exception for this…but not very many.

You have to provide the information requested and I think the basic CSS questions do require it. However, schools do not use all the information the CSS asks for. For example, they may not consider all the income of the step parent, especially if the step parent has children to support and pay for.

You just have to answer all the questions asked. Their formulas do understand that two households require more money to support.

Sometimes. This is not uniformly true. Your family contribution will be based on your custodial parent financials…plus the financials of your non-custodial parent and spouse (if that is what the college requires).

Just answer all of the questions.

Is your issue that the spouse has a high income and assets?

2 Likes

What does your non custodial parent contribute?
Is the non custodial parent new spouse earning a lot more than your parent and do they have children (ie., step siblings for you)?