If you have a question for me

<p>No clue. I don't know much of anything about admissions, let alone transfers.</p>

<p>I have no idea if you would know this, but is there bus transportation to the New River Valley Community College from VT? I might not have a car next year, and I might need to take a class there (if you remember my thread), so I'm just wondering. I have a feeling its going to be really hard to get there and then make it back in time for the rest of my classes..</p>

<p>Also, is it possible to get housing in a "good" dorm at this point?
I know a good amount of them are pretty old. I'd like to get in one of the newer suite style dorms with AC and such, heh.</p>

<p>A few of my friends that are going to VT next year told me that hardly anyone gets a suite dorm unless you sign up really early, like the first day that accepted letters come out. Is this true or is the housing assignment just completely random in terms of what building you get? I haven't seen the housing application yet as I haven't accepted the offer, that's why I'm asking.</p>

<p>Housing is random I think, but upperclassmen are more likely to get the good dorms (I think). There IS a bus that runs out there but it only runs once an hour. If you scheduled everything just right you might be able to pull it off. The classes are offered in the summer apparently, although I'm not sure who can take them.</p>

<p>Thanks for the information, I'll have to talk to one of those scheduling counselors once I get there. Hopefully I can pull that off.</p>

<p>I just realized that there are two summer sessions at Tech, which makes it a lot better than I thought originally in terms of getting burned out ;p. I might end up taking one in the spring semester and one in the summer if I can't manage to get to the CC.</p>

<p>A few questions:</p>

<ol>
<li><p>I live in Stafford, Virginia (40 min south of DC, 4 hours from VT). Is there a bus that goes to my area from VT every weekend or long weekend? When are the shifts and how much would it cost?</p></li>
<li><p>I selected my major to be mechanical engineering. What first year classes would I get?</p></li>
<li><p>I might switch from engineering to medicine if it's too hard. When would be an appropriate time to switch?</p></li>
</ol>

<p>1) I don't know. There's some bus that runs up that way but I can't remember the name of it and don't know where exactly/how often it runs. Look for something called "smart ride" or "safe ride" or something like that.</p>

<p>2) The same as any other engineering major. Basic math classes (calc I/II), 1st semester physics, 1st semester chemistry, two english classes, two intro to engineering classes, a couple electives and I think that about sums it up. You can probably go on the MechE website and find a course planner with the required classes for all 4 years.</p>

<p>3) Don't switch to medicine. First off if you're finding engineering too hard you'd probably not be up for med school and without med school a degree in pre-med (which is what I think you're meaning) isn't worth a whole lot. If you want to switch out look at things like chemistry or bio-chem or something like that; you could still go to med school if you really wanted and would have other options as well. As to when to switch, that's hard to say. The first year of engineering is pretty easy, so you wouldn't really know if you can handle it or not until midway through sophomore year. It's really up to you when/if you want to change.</p>

<p>It says on Virginia Tech's website that it may take 6-8 weeks to get a private loan approved. If I accept the offer of admission now and apply for a private loan, and then after May 1, find out I'm not eligible for the private loan, will I not be able to go to VT?</p>

<p>Bensky, I assume my S has same issue as yours -- not admitted to engineering but rather to University Studies. We were in Blacksburg last week and investigated how he might get to New River Community College without a car. Blacksburg transit (btransit.org) does have a loop that goes to the mall/NRCC. According to their website, it's about a 30 minute ride (with stops and all) from the library to NRCC. That seems long to me based on our visit, but ... We also visited admissions to have them tell us exactly why S wasn't admitted to engineering directly. We asked about taking the course at NRCC and the counselor told us that the engineering exploration course was really a weed-out course and that it may be easier at NRCC. She suggested trying to register for the course at VT for the spring (much easier commute!) and if S doesn't get it through VT, then try to get it through NRCC in the spring. She said the second course could be taken in the first session of summer school, which is only 6 weeks long, from the end of May til July 1 or so. Does this jive with what you know, Chuy?</p>

<p>Thanks chuy!</p>

<p>One more question, how much partying and drinking and such activities are there on campus? I'd just like a general idea.</p>

<p>I wanted to apply for the theme housing, but I would rather be in the honors dorms. From what I understand, the Honors dorms are by invitation only, and I have not received a letter of confirmation from the honors program yet. I expect to get that in the mail within the next few days. If I do not get an invitation, then I'll probably apply for the engineering themed housing.</p>

<p>My question is, should I go ahead and apply for the engineering themed housing, even if I haven't heard from the honors program yet? Or should I wait for that decision?</p>

<p>I hear the engineering housing space is limited, which is why I'm asking.</p>

<p>Go ahead and apply for the Engineering housing. Honors space is quite limited and they interview you - I want to say during Orientation, but I just can't remember. They don't have many spaces for freshmen in the Honors dorms. My son started off in Honors, but went with Engineering theme housing. The hill going up to Hillcrest was brutal since he had to walk up there 4x during 1 of his orientation days and it was HOT! haha, he said that was enough!</p>

<p>"One more question, how much partying and drinking and such activities are there on campus? I'd just like a general idea."
There's a good amount of partying and drinking off campus. On campus, people drink in their dorms but keep it quiet. Getting caught drinking or drunk on campus results in a JR and alcohol classes. no biggie if you get caught once. It's good to know upperclassman with apartments for parties.</p>

<p>"One more question, how much partying and drinking and such activities are there on campus? I'd just like a general idea. "</p>

<p>Relatively little. Some RAs look the other way but some do not. There's almost no partying on campus because SOME RA is going to write you up for it if they hear you, but there is quite a bit of friend's sitting around. There is a ton of partying off campus, though, with a bus system that runs till about 2:30 in the morning.</p>

<p>Thanks again - Btw I'm in dire need of money for the next few years, can I get a paying job somewhere on campus, like at the library or bookstore or wherever? Is it hard to balance work and academics on campus?</p>

<p>Yes, you can work in the libraries or in food services or school stores or whatever. Talk to someone in Career Services, I think that's who would know what to do to get an on campus job. I've never done it so I don't know about balancing.</p>

<p>It really depends on the job and how flexible the hours are. My son is taking 18 credits this semester and has a part-time job - he's finding it very easy to balance his study, work, and play time because of the flexible hours. There is the Career services and also, pay attention to the emails you get from your department advisor - they often send out emails regarding job offers in the department to work for a professor or on a project - those sorts of thngs usually have very flexible hours.</p>

<p>Chuy- the Matric fee, after paying that and registering does that go toward your tuition?</p>

<p>Yes, I'm almost certain that it does.</p>

<p>I'm trying to do some planning. Where can I find the "general education" required courses that all university studies people have to take their first year? I want to see if there are some overlaps between those courses and the Computer Science required courses for the first year.</p>

<p>From: University</a> Studies | Undergraduate Admissions | Virginia Tech</p>

<p>"A typical first-year program is as shown:</p>

<p>Semester 1</p>

<pre><code> * English composition
* Mathematics
* Natural science
* Social science
* Humanities/elective
</code></pre>

<p>Semester 2</p>

<pre><code> * English composition
* Mathematics