IGETC Area 6

I had a meeting with my counselor today and she told me that Area 6 of the IGETC can only be fulfilled by my high school transcripts if I had AP credit. I know for a fact this wasn’t the case two years ago because my daughter used her two years of high school LOTE to finish her IGETC. Has anything changed in those two years or is my counselor mistaken?

MOD NOTE: This person is a parent AND a student. The IGETC is in reference to California community college. This person notes that there is no time limit specified. IGETC (UC) Requirements

1 Like

@Gumbymom

The link provided shows several different ways to satisfy the foreign language requirement and which includes 2 years of high school FL courses as noted below so I would say that the transfer advisor is mistaken. This information is taken directly from the UC website.

You do need to submit your HS transcripts for verification of taking those courses.

Proficiency in a language other than English (IGETC Area 6/6A)

Students may demonstrate proficiency for the purpose of fulfilling the Language Other Than English IGETC requirement in one of the following ways:

• Complete two years of high school coursework in one language other than English with a grade of C or better.
  • Complete a course or courses at a college or university with a grade of C or better in each course. Any course (excluding conversation courses) considered by the college or university to be equivalent to two years of high school language may be used. Many college catalogs list the prerequisite for the second course in a language as: Language 1 at this college, or two years of high school language. In this case Language 1 clears both years of the requirement.
  • Achieve a satisfactory score on the SAT Subject Test in languages other than English. If the test was taken before May 1995, the first score is the minimum; if the test was taken after May 1995, use the second score.
    • Chinese With Listening: not offered before 1995/520
    • French/French With Listening: 500/540
    • German/German With Listening: 500/510
    • Hebrew (Modern): 500/470
    • Italian: 500/520
    • Japanese With Listening: 500/510
    • Korean/Korean With Listening: not offered before 1995/500
    • Latin: 500/530
    • Spanish/Spanish With Listening: 500/520
  • Achieve a score of 3, 4 or 5 on a College Board Advanced Placement (AP) examination in a language other than English.
  • Achieve a score of 5 or higher on an International Baccalaureate (IB) Higher Level Examination in a language other than English.
  • Satisfactorily complete a proficiency test administered by a community college, university or other college in a language other than English. The test must assess the student proficiency at a level equivalent to at least two years of high school language.
  • Complete, with grades of C or better, two years of formal schooling at the sixth-grade level or higher in an institution where the language of instruction is not English. If secondary school was completed in a non-English-speaking country and the language of instruction of the secondary school was not English, language other than English proficiency can be certified for IGETC without further evaluation. The student must present appropriate documentation of attendance at the secondary school.
  • Earn a passing grade on the international A level or O level exam in a language other than English.
    If an appropriate achievement test is not available to assert a student’s proficiency in a language other than English, a faculty member associated with a California community college can verify competency. The college must provide a document on letterhead asserting that the student’s proficiency in the language is equivalent to at least two years of high school study.
2 Likes