Illinois Far North Get Together

<p>We are hosting a very informal get together for a few of the parents and incoming UA first year students from the far north Chicago - south east Wisconsin area. I tried to PM parents who I thought fit that criteria and wasn’t planning on posting this publicly but decided maybe there is a lurker or two that would like to join us. </p>

<p>Saturday, June 16 at 4:00 at our home in Lake County. I’m hoping the weather will cooperate and we can sit outside and play some yard games, etc to break the ice for the kids who have not yet met. </p>

<p>If I haven’t PM’d you and you’d like to join us, please send me a message or post and I will PM you. I just ask that you please don’t post my address in this public forum. </p>

<p>Parents and older UA students are welcome to join us, too. We’d love to hear your advice face to face if you are willing to share.</p>

<p>^^^ While I’d be very interested in attending to meet you and answer your questions based on our experience last year, we are out of town on the 16th at a lacrosse tournament for our son. Please fee free to PM me with any questions that come up and keep me posted if you meet again later this summer. Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Dad2ILD, I will do that! Also keep us in mind for ride sharing to and from MDW during the upcoming school year.</p>

<p>Classof2012Mom: I learn much from these posts, but I don’t have time to check them frequently. My daughter saw this thread and mentioned it. It is such a nice idea to have students get together in advance of school this fall. I am sorry that my family, including my new Bama daughter, are busy next Saturday. When we were at Bama Bound early this month, someone said that the school is trying to link parents regionally to share rides, etc. My daughter will be suite-mates with a wonderful girl from a western Chicago suburb., whom she met through the on-line channels associated with school. It would also be great to benefit from the experience of veteran students and parents. Maybe we can begin gathering a contact list off-line—or maybe someone has already started this???</p>

<p>The contact list is a good idea. </p>

<p>So far we have three families with their students, one set of parents without their son (he has a grad. party) and another family I know who is not on CC at all (imagine that!) as a probable. </p>

<p>Please encourage your daughter’s roommate to come on over if she’s interested. We are 5 minutes off the highway so depending on which western suburb, it might not be that long of a drive. </p>

<p>I know my S would like to find a group of friends to watch the Bears games with this fall and Blackhawks in the winter.</p>

<p>We are from the far western Chicago suburbs and would definitely come if we didn’t already have a wedding and TWO graduation parties that day ('tis the season). Honestly, the rest of the month looks open - it is just June 16th…! Son will be attending Bama in the fall - living in RCS-NT. I definitely want to be included on any contact list or future get-togethers. Any Chicago area people going to the July 9-10 Bama Bound? </p>

<p>I am more of CC lurker than poster…</p>

<p>Yeah, more IL folks!
Lurkers and posters alike: be sure to sign in and update the State Roll Call for Incoming Freshman 2012 thread!</p>

<p>Class2012Mom, thanks for hosting. D is attending Bama this fall. We’re from the western suburbs and would have loved to attend and meet other parents and students but have plans this weekend.</p>

<p>Hi All
I am in favor of a contact list of parents in the Greater Chicagoland Area for ride sharing, get togethers and just to maybe see a smiling familiar face when I visit campus and my D decides that she is too busy to spend much time w/ me ;). I would be more than willing to put something together if everyone feels comfortable PMing me their info.</p>

<p>parents name’s, child’s name, suburb, email. If you want to include cell, that is up to you. Anything else?</p>

<p>Also, for those of you in the Western, Southern, Near North area’s, I did email Bethany our recruiter and was told that she would be hosting something this summer. I did offer my house as a meeting place, but she said that she had it covered. I would imagine that we would hear something soon from her. I would also imagine that even if you were North or far North you would be welcome, so if you could not make this weekend, then maybe this will work for some of us.</p>

<p>RTR -Can’t believe how quickly time is flying!</p>

<p>IIRC, Bethany hosted a send off for a couple hours at an ice cream place in Western Springs or Hinsdale last summer. That’s a haul for us, but it’s closer than the Chicago reception was last fall, and we went to that. I could be mistaken, but I get the sense that there are more students from the Chicago area headed to Bama this year than last.</p>

<p>Interesting - had no idea about any kind of Bethany send off. </p>

<p>If that doesn’t happen (or even if it does) maybe the parents should get together shortly after the kids are off settled in to celebrate! </p>

<p>I am very much looking forward to meeting some of you folks this weekend. And I am going to make everyone name tags. :)</p>

<p>One final bump. I should have put Chicago area in the title - oh well, live and learn. If there’s anyone else wanting to come, PM me for the address.</p>

<p>Not related to the get together, but wanted to send a Roll Tide to the Illinois individual who is in Panama City Beach today. Don’t know if it is any of our posters, but was thrilled to see the plates and UA sticker in the parking lot as we were leaving the condo to head home today :D</p>