I'm a child of African immigrants

<p>I'm a child of African immigrants, born in America.</p>

<p>Should I mention this or not?
Will it work to my favor or not?</p>

<p>No, where would you even mention this on your college application?</p>

<p>How are readers supposed to know what you are talking about?</p>

<p>I can assume that you are referring to the college admissions process, but that is not made clear in your post.</p>

<p>Your parents being born outside of the US does not help YOUR application. It would help if they attended the college that you are applying to but your post suggests that they did not attend an American College, which I assume you will be applying to. Further, according to collegeboard being a first generation college student helps you in admissions.</p>

<p>Of course you will want to mention on your application that you are African American. And as the previous poster said, if you are a first generation college student, that would help. You could mention that your parents immigrated from Africa in your essay if it fits in. It might make an applicant more unique.</p>

<p>Okay, thanks. I was considering adding it into my essay, but I also read somewhere that Africans were ORM.</p>

<p>Good Luck on your college apps. DO NOT PROCRASTINATE!!!</p>

<p>Mention it if you can make it relevant. If being the child of immigrants has affected your life, maybe write your college essay on that (I think one of the common app prompts is about diversity, so you could go with that), or use it if your supplements ask about diversity or just things that influence you. I think it’s something that could make you stand out but just make sure you aren’t randomly saying ‘my parents are from Africa!’ when there’s no clear reason that you’re doing so.</p>

<p>Also, just out of curiosity, what country/ies are your parents from?</p>

<p>Me too. My parents are both born and raised in Nigeria, my father was offered a full ride scholarship to come to America and go to Golden Gate University, and after he finished university, he decided to go back to Nigeria, then he came back again after he and my mother married and here I am. I think you should include one of my personal statements I mentioned how every visit I have to Nigeria has impacted my life. I think its a goo thing to mention.</p>

<p>Oh, my parents are from Sierra Leone, and I think I will mention it.</p>

<p>You have to mention it anyway on he Common App where it asks your parents’ country of birth. Also, that ORM thing is a load of bull.</p>

<p>Look at the common app. On the parents page, you get to note where they were from and the level of their educataion. Adcoms will see it.</p>

<p>There’s no need to mention it 'cause you’ll probably have no problem getting in anyway or doing anything.</p>