I'm freaking out

<p>Okay so I'm a junior right now in high school and I'm practically freaking out about applying to colleges and whatnot. My first choice is Geneseo and I'm pretty much obsessed with it already.</p>

<p>I plan to major in Chemistry with a concentration in Pre-Med. I heard the Pre-Med program at Geneseo is fantastic. </p>

<p>I have a 4.0 GPA but my SAT scores aren't ideal. But, I will be retaking the SATs and the ACTs in June. </p>

<p>After my senior year I'll have finished 7 APs, is it good to take a lot of AP courses?</p>

<p>I'm visiting the campus in July and I can't wait! </p>

<p>I was just wondering if any of you have an insight on whether or not I might get in?</p>

<p>thanks so much!</p>

<p>You never said what your SAT score was / what you expect it to be but unless its like a 800/2400 you will easily get in.</p>

<p>I have 1080/1600 and 1580/2400 as my SATs. I’m taking the ACTs in June along with another SAT, hopefully I’ll do better on them.</p>

<p>You have a 1080 and the median SAT is something like 1330. What do you think?</p>

<p>Well that was my first SAT and I’m retaking them, along with the ACTs, in June sooo yeah, I know my scores suck, I’m trying to get them up.</p>

<p>Uhhh, not to be a d!ck, but with that SAT, you look like another dumb “smart kid” with a 4.0</p>

<p>You’re going to need to get that up, a lot, or they will definitely waitlist you. Geneseo weighs SAT scores a lot more heavily than GPA (and rightfully so, since your GPA seems drastically inflated.)</p>

<p>Oh I know that, it’s not being a dick, it’s being truthful. You’re totally right. I really do need to get those scores up.</p>

<p>Also considering you have a 4.0 with that SAT score it seems your high school is really easy. Geneseo especially the Pre med program is really demanding (some would say its unnecessarily demanding) in the first few years so you should start developing really good study habits in preparation for college</p>

<p>Thank you very much! I retook the SATs today and I felt like I did a lot better. The ACTs are next week and I just really hope I do well on these tests! :)</p>

<p>Geneseo accepts basically everyone within their requirements (96+ for regents/honors kids, 90+ for us AP scholas, 1200+ SAT), rejects everyone else except people who show interest. Show interest - call, email, visit again to interview and maybe even overnight. It’s a small enough school that that stuff actually counts, and I assure you, you’ll put yourself over the edge. It will basically guarantee you a wait list if you make it personal, and then continue until you get in. Plus, if your an AP kid with those SAT scores, you’re fersure hard-working, so you’ll really succeed there above all the slackers with high SAT scores. take the ACT, I didn’t because an admissions adviser told me too late that its preferred and the scores are better. and just devote yourself to test taking and perfecting the exam this summer. I now have ten APs under my belt, but to compensate for a mediocre average, I devoted myself to acing the four hour exam and got into Geneseo and even better, but no place can compete with the price, prestiage and above all, the emotional affinity I felt for it. I’ll be a year ahead of you, hope to see you next fall, good luck!</p>

<p>My son is one of those kids who doesn’t care about his gpa and doesn’t bother with HW for the most part. He is a rising senior looking at Geneseo. He has been in honors science and math since middle school, has taken AP Euro and APUSH. Next year, he is taking AP Calc BC, AP Physics and Bio, AP Macro and Micro, AP Comparative World Gov’t. His GPA is in the low 3’s. His M and V SAT is 1350 and he will retake it. His ACT was a 30, but he had a 34 in science, 32 in social studies and 31 in math (a very low writing score brought him down). He is a National Merit Commended Student but will likely not move on; math and reading scores were almost perfect but the writing was not. He won a teacher association award for excellence in law (about 35 schools competed).</p>

<p>His regents scores are great in science (3 98’s and a 95), math (99 math a and 83 math B - had strep throat), 97 in global, waiting on english and USH.</p>

<p>EC’s are chess club and team, robotics and boy scouts. He’s worked at the same job the past 3 summers.</p>

<p>Is it worth spending our limited college application budget on applying to Geneseo? I was thinking he could maybe get a deferred admission at the least.</p>

<p>He has a great shot. Geneseo is forgiving of a not-so-great GPA, if the SAT/ACT’s are high, and lots of honors/AP courses were taken. In fact, if he could get that SAT up to 1400, I think he is a shoo-in. </p>

<p>Also, make an appointment and visit the campus before they make a decision. That can never hurt.</p>

<p>Once they receive the application, they will request a letter from the parents (I think 100 words or less) regarding your child’s interest in Geneseo. If he is a borderline applicant, take that letter very seriously. It could make a difference.</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>Okay so I didn’t get the ACT grade I wanted but I did get a 26. With my 95 GPA and the 26 on the ACTs, do you think I’ll get in? Or should I retake the ACTs and hope for a higher score?</p>

<p>i just graduated from high school with a 4.0 gpa and i’m going to geneseo. my highest sat score was 1210/1600 but my act was a 28. i only took 2 ap classes in high school, and i graduated with two years of art and two years of music. i was accepted into the biology department at geneseo…</p>